Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake is a super moist, soft and spongy chocolate cake recipe with a rich chocolate flavor. This easy chocolate cake is a no butter, no condensed milk, no egg recipe with the perfect balance of taste and texture. It also serves as a perfect base cake for icing and frosting cakes.
ABOUT EGGLESS CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE
Looking for an excellent eggless sponge cake recipe that is super quick, easy and simple to make and that can be used for frosted cake. You’ve landed at the right place, this is the one. It’s truly the best eggless chocolate sponge cake recipe you’ll come across. Try it and thank me later!
It’s absolutely easy to make with basic ingredients.This easy chocolate cake recipe takes just few minutes to whipped up things together. Even a beginner can bake this cake easily and relish it. It doesn’t require an expertise nor fancy ingredients and equipments. A bowl and a spatula is all required to make the batter. Just mix the wet ingredients and dry ingredients and then bake to perfection. How easy it is, right?
This easy chocolate sponge cake is extremely soft, spongy and moist. This easy chocolate cake does not contain butter, condensed milk or egg. It’s a fuss free and one bowl recipe.
Unlike other cakes this recipe uses chocolate truffle essence from Ossoro brand which takes the basic chocolate cake to another level.
This chocolate sponge cake is perfect to use as a base cake for whipped cream cakes, with various frostings and fillings.
This eggless spongy chocolate cake recipe is for all those vegetarians and those allergy to eggs. Trust me, make it once and you’d rather settle for this eggless cake the next time round. This cake is super moist, tender and full of chocolatey goodness.
Most people say that cakes without an egg have a different taste, texture and are not as moist and spongy, but believe me this one is just as moist and insanely delicious. You won’t even be able to make it out that it’s eggless cake unless you’re informed about it before hand.
Also you won’t find the smell or after taste of whole wheat flour. My little one is very particular about the taste of any food. But this chocolate cake he finished off in a day. So it’s proven how tasty and delicious the cake is. You’ll love this one!
LET’S TALK INGREDIENTS
● Whole Wheat Flour – Used whole wheat flour (atta) for more healthier version instead of all purpose flour (maida). The cake turned out light and soft. You can’t find the denseness in this cake unlike other whole wheat flour cakes.
● Cocoa Powder – Cocoa powder plays a vital role and is the most important ingredient in chocolate cake recipe when it comes to flavour and taste. Always try to use good quality cocoa powder while making any chocolate cake or any cocoa powder based dessert as the overall taste and texture of the cakes and desserts depends upon it. I’ve used Ossoro brand cocoa powder. I loved the outcome of its taste as well colour to the cake. The cake turned out a nice bright dark chocolate color.
Please click on the image to purchase
● Brown Sugar – Brown sugar yields soft and moist bread or cakes. It adds incredible flavor and texture to the bread. It’s a healthier option too.
● Leavening Agents – Both baking powder and baking soda is used in this recipe to give a perfect amount of lift to the cake. Also the reaction of baking soda and curd allows the cake a perfect rise and turn out a soft, spongy and moist cake.
● Salt – A dash of salt is always good in baked goodies. The salt helps to balance out the sweetness too.
● Curd/Yogurt – Hung curd is used instead of vinegar or lemon juice. Curd is used as a substitute to egg.
● Oil – This recipe uses sunflower oil instead of butter. You can use any neutral flavor oil. I most of the time uses sunflower oil for my cakes. Oil cakes turns out more soft, light and moist.
● Milk – Whole milk is used here. You can use plain water instead if milk. Recommend to use whole milk for extra richness and taste.
● Chocolate Truffle Essence – I have used Ossoro brand chocolate truffle essence instead of the regular essence i.e. vanilla essence. It took the cake to another level in taste and flavor.
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase this from Amazon.
HOW TO MAKE EGGLESS CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE?
This eggless chocolate sponge cake uses whole wheat flour. To substitute the eggs I have used hung curd aka yogurt. As mentioned earlier to make this cake we dont need any fancy ingredients, techniques or equipments. You just require bowl and a spatula or hand whisk. In a bowl mix all the wet ingredients to combine. Add the sieved dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently mix to make a smooth and lumps free batter. Lightly grease 6 inches diameter × 2 inches height pan and dust with flour or use parchment paper in the base. Then pour into the prepared cake pan and bake it in a preheated oven @180° C for 35 minutes with both rods on. Once baked, let it stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Demould it and let it cool completely before you cut and serve.
Craving for chocolate cake? Try this super quick, simple and easy to make soft, moist and spongy chocolate cake recipe at the comfort of your home with basic ingredients.
I made a simple recipe video of this super easy chocolate sponge cake recipe for my readers which I have shared below. Please do watch and SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you haven’t yet. It will mean a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
EGGLESS CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE VIDEO TUTORIAL
HOW TO MAKE IT IN A Pressure COOKER?
Place a steel stand in the cooker and preheat for 5-10 minutes.
(You can also use some salt at the bottom of the cooker. Place a steel stand over the salt layer.)
Now place the cake tin on the stand.
Remove the gasket and whistle from the cooker cover and close the cooker with the lid.
Reduce the heat to low and bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer inserted comes out clean. If it doesn’t comes out clean then bake for another 5 minutes or so.
You can check out my whole wheat fruit and nut cake recipe where I’ve mentioned how to bake in pressure cooker and microwave mode. I have tried this in pressure cooker over gas top. Similarly you can use kadai or pan also to bake the cake.
VARIATIONS OF THIS EGGLESS CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE
● To make vanilla sponge cake, omit the cocoa powder and use 1 tsp vanilla essence or extract.
● You can also add nut of your choice or a mixed of nuts and dry fruits for a nutty, crunchy and fruity cake.
FAQ & TIPS FOR EGGLESS CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE
Can all purpose flour be used?
Yes. You can use all purpose flour instead of wheat flour. All purpose flour cake usually takes slightly less water than whole wheat flour. So use the liquid accordingly. If you’re using all purpose flour you can reserve some liquid by not adding all in one go. The reserved liquid can be added as required at the end.
Can I use butter instead of oil?
Yes. Use 100 gms melted butter instead of oil.
Can I make this recipe with egg?
Yes. You can use 2 eggs and omit the curd and baking soda.
Which oil to use in the recipe?
Use an flavorless or neutral flavor oil like sunflower oil, vegetable oil or any refined oil.
Can water be added instead of milk to the cake batter?
Yes. Water can be added instead of milk.
Can we make this cake vegan?
Yes. Use dairy free yogurt or it can be substituted with vinegar or lemon juice. Instead of dairy milk you can use vegan milks like almond mild, soy milk, coconut milk, cashew milk etc or use water.
Can I use vinegar instead of curd?
Yes. You can use vinegar or lemon juice instead of curd. You can use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice will do the work.
Can I bake this eggless chocolate sponge cake in microwave convection oven?
Yes. You can bake this eggless chocolate sponge cake in a microwave convection oven. Baking time will vary so need to keep a check at the baking time.
Can I make this eggless chocolate sponge cake in a pressure cooker?
Yes. You can make this eggless chocolate sponge cake in a cooker.
Why is my eggless chocolate sponge cake not spongy?
This recipe uses both baking powder and baking soda as leavening agent. For any cake to rise perfectly the leavening agents should be fresh. The reaction of baking soda with curd helps in making this eggless chocolate cake spongy and light. It is always better to check the freshness of baking soda before you proceed with the recipe. If the baking soda is not fresh or past its shelf life, it is advised not to use it as the cake won’t rise.
How to check the freshness of the leavening agents?
For baking soda in a bowl add some little amount of baking soda and add any acid, the moment the two is combine you will notice the fizz and bubble. That means your baking soda is fresh. Common acids used to cause this reaction include vinegar, lemon juice, buttermilk, cyrd aka yogurt, and cream of tartar.
For baking powder, add a small amount of baking powder and water. It fizz and bubble which means your baking powder is fresh. To activate the baking powder, all that is required is water.
Can I use white sugar instead of brown sugar?
Yes. You can white sugar instead of brown sugar. You can also use jaggery or cane sugar.
Can I add dry fruits or nuts in the chocolate cake?
Yes. Dry fruits and nuts like almonds, pistachios, cashews, raisins, candied fruits can be added in the cake batter. Before adding them to the batter, coat them with a bit of flour, so that they dont settle down at the bottom of the cake while baking.
HOW TO STORE THIS CAKE?
You can store this cake in an airtight container or wrapped in a cling sheet at the counter. It stays good for 3-4 days at room temperature unless it vanishes off in jiffy. If refrigerated the cake stays good in the refrigerator for more than a week.
You can serve this as a tea cake along with your tea or coffee. You can also frost it with chocolate ganache or whipped cream or simply drizzle homemade chocolate sauce like I did. Great to serve with icecream and use it as a base to make a host of delicious desserts like sundaes or trifles.
WHOLE WHEAT CAKE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
■ Banana Walnut Cake
■ Banana Nut Bread
■ Whole Wheat Carrot Cake
■ Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake
■ Apple Cinnamon Cake
■ Moist Orange Cake
■ Double Chocolate Coffee Cake
■ Chocolate Vanilla Cake
■ Multigrain Banana Cake
■ Vegan Coconut Cake
■ Banana Chocolate Cake
■ Protein Rich Nut & Seed Cake
■ Chocolate Wine Fruit Cake
■ Chocolate Ganache Cake
■ Christmas Fruit Cake
■ Banana Oats Loaf Cake
■ Muesli Banana Cake
MORE CAKE RECIPES
■ Eggless Lamingtons
■ Gluten Free Vanilla Cake
■ Milk Powder Cake
■ Malai Cake / Cream Cake
■ Berry Jam Cake
■ Hot Milk Suji Cake / Semolina Cake
■ Semolina Carrot Cake
■ Glazed Orange Bundt Cake
■ Tutti Frutti Cake
■ Mawa Pistachios Cake
■ Custard Powder Cake
■ Ghee Cake / Clarified Butter Cake
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
So whip up this easy, super moist and delicious chocolate cake. It’s a great dessert that everybody can enjoy and dig into. I’m sure everyone will love it as much as we do! Do share your thoughts about the recipe with me here.
So let’s get started with the recipe. Let’s learn how to make eggless chocolate sponge cake with step by step pictures and recipe video. Please do read the recipe notes given below for tips and tricks to make the very best eggless chocolate cake.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 35 minutes
☆ Pan size = 6 inches diameter × 2 inches height
☆ 1 cup = 240 ml
☆ 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
☆ 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Please click on the image to purchase
Ingredients to make basic chocolate cake:
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup/180 ml whole milk
½ cup curd/yogurt
¼ cup oil
½ tsp Ossoro chocolate truffle essence or any vanilla or chocolate essence
Homemade chocolate sauce for serving
Measuring cups & spoons set. Click the image to purchase from Amazon.
Step by step pictorial instructions to make eggless chocolate sponge cake:
Grease the cake pan lightly wih oil or butter and dust with flour or add parchment paper on the cake tin base. Preheat oven at 180° C for 10 minutes.
In a mixing bowl add in the brown sugar, milk, curd and oil.
Mix well to combine together and allow sugar to dissolve.
Add in the Ossoro chocolate truffle essence and give a quick mix.
Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into the wet ingredients.
Gently fold them to make a smooth and lumps free batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap the cake pan on the surface for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles.
Bake the cake at preheated oven @180° C (350° F) with both rods on for 35 minutes. If a toothpick or skewer inserted comes out clean it’s done or else bake for another 5 minutes.
Let the cake stand in the pan for 5 minutes and demould it.
Allow the cake to cool down completely in a cooling rack.
Slice it as it is or drizzle melted chocolate, chocolate sauce or frost it with ganache or whipped cream. Enjoy!
NOTES: USEFUL TIPS AND SUBSTITUTION
■ For the yogurt, to make this cake vegan you can use non-dairy yogurt or 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice.
■ For the milk, you use non-dairy milk like almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk or simply use water.
■ To make this cake gluten-free I recommend using a gluten-free flour or mix of gluten-free flours.
■ For the flour, you may substitute whole wheat flour with the same amount of all purpose flour or 50-50 % of both. You can also use pastry flour.
■ For the oil, I’ve used sunflower oil. You can use any flavorless or neutral tasting oil instead of sunflower oil.
■ You may substitute the oil with 100 gms butter.
■ You may substitute the brown sugar with refined sugar or any other healthier sweeteners like cane sugar, jaggery, coconut sugar etc.
■ You can use ½ teaspoon eno instead of baking soda.
■ You can also add a mixture of any dry fruits and nuts of your choice.
■ Use good quality cocoa powder. I’ve used Ossoro brand cocoa powder. They’re easily available at Amazon. I’ve shares the link above, if you wish to purchase, buy it from the link shared, we may earn a small amount if commission if you buy from the link.
■ All ingredients should be at room temperature.
■ Sieve the flour or dry ingredients, this helps in getting a nice texture to the cake.
■ Each oven reacts differently so baking time may differ since the temperature varries from oven to oven.
■ Do not open the oven atleast before 25 minutes of baking and frequently opening oven to check the cake while baking is in process is not advisable.
Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 6 inches round tin
- 240 ml Measuring cups
- 1 cup (125 grams) whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- t teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (90 grams) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) whole milk
- ½ cup curd/yogurt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) oil
- ½ teaspoon Ossoro chocolate truffle essence or 1 tsp vanilla essence
- As required homemade chocolate sauce for serving (link shared in the post)
- Grease the cake pan lightly wih oil or butter and dust with flour or add parchment paper on the cake tin base. Preheat oven at 180° C for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add in the brown sugar, milk, curd and oil.
- Mix well to combine together and allow sugar to dissolve.
- Add in the Ossoro chocolate truffle essence and give a quick mix.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold them to make a smooth and lumps free batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap the cake pan on the surface for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake the cake at preheated oven @180° C (350° F) with both rods on for 35 minutes. If a toothpick or skewer inserted comes out clean it’s done or else bake for another 5 minutes.
- Let the cake stand in the pan for 5 minutes and demould it.
- Allow the cake to cool down completely in a cooling rack.
- Slice it as it is or drizzle melted chocolate, chocolate sauce or frost it with ganache or whipped cream. Enjoy!
- For the yogurt, to make this cake vegan you can use non-dairy yogurt or 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice.
- For the milk, you use non-dairy milk like almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk or simply use water.
- To make this cake gluten-free I recommend using a gluten-free flour or mix of gluten-free flours.
- For the flour, you may substitute whole wheat flour with the same amount of all purpose flour or 50-50 % of both. You can also use pastry flour.
- For the oil, I’ve used sunflower oil. You can use any flavorless or neutral tasting oil instead of sunflower oil.
- You may substitute the oil with 100 gms butter.
- You may substitute the brown sugar with refined sugar or any other healthier sweeteners like cane sugar, jaggery, coconut sugar etc.
- You can use ½ teaspoon eno instead of baking soda.
- You can also add a mixture of any dry fruits and nuts of your choice.
- Use good quality cocoa powder. I’ve used Ossoro brand cocoa powder. They’re easily available at Amazon. I’ve shares the link above, if you wish to purchase, buy it from the link shared, we may earn a small amount if commission if you buy from the link.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Sieve the flour or dry ingredients, this helps in getting a nice texture to the cake.
- Each oven reacts differently so baking time may differ since the temperature varries from oven to oven.
- Do not open the oven atleast before 25 minutes of baking and frequently opening oven to check the cake while baking is in process is not advisable.
Our site contains affiliate links! If you purchase anything through those links, we will receive a small commission. Please note it won’t charge you any extra penny.
Well, if you make this eggless chocolate sponge cake, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
Disclosure: At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Being Marwari Premium Dark Chocolate Chips (Choco Chips), 400g
3-in-1 Cake Icing Spatula Knife Set
Cake Knife And Server Set
Cake Stand – Turntable Revolving Cake Decorating Stand
Pramix Combo of Rainbow Sprinkles, Dark & Milk Choco Chips (Chocolate Truffle) 300 gm
MORPHY RICHARDS OTG
MORPHY RICHARDS CONVECTION MICROWAVE
DM COOL Cotton Quilt Oven Glove and Pot Holder (33 x 16cm) – Set of 2
PIXEL HOME © Printed Apron with Centre Pocket 100% Cotton with Oven Mitten with Free Pot Holder – Designer Product Apron with Ties at Both End – Unisex Apron (Green Flower Print)
PIXEL HOME Printed Cotton Oven Mitten with Pot Holder (Multicolour)
BICHI™ Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale, Kitchen Scale Digital Multipurpose, Weight Machines for Kitchen, Weight Machine, Weight Scale Kitchen, Kitchen Weight Machine, Kitchen Weighing Scale Digital