Absolutely soft and spongy banana nut bread recipe you’ll love. It is a super moist, not overly sweet, cake-like quick bread. It is easy to make and our favourite way to use up overripe bananas so they never end up into the bin. This incredibly easy bread is super moist, soft and spongy. It makes a great breakfast on-the-go or tea cake and perfect for kids tiffin box and anytime quick snacking.
This banana nut bread recipe is super simple, easy and fuss-free. It doesn’t require a stand mixer or a hand mixer. There is no fancy equipment required. Just a bowl and a spatula does the work. I feel that somehow easier to me. The batter takes less than 15 minutes to throw together and gets perfectly baked in 50 minutes. The wait is worth while with the house filled with tempting aromas and finally a slice of warm, fresh-baked banana bread. Isn’t it a wonderful feeling?
The bread stays moist for days, and nothing beats the smell of fresh banana that fills the house while baking in the oven! This loaf also makes for a thoughtful and delicious gift idea for the holidays.
If you have overripe bananas and is not in a position to bake, please do not throw away the overripe bananas. You can freeze them for a long time. When you’re ready to bake, just take them out from the freezer and thaw them by leaving them in room temperature over the counter and you’re good to bake bread, cakes and cookies with them.
WHY USE OVERRIPE BANANAS?
It is always recommended to use overripe bananas in baking whether baking bread, cakes, muffins, cookies etc. To make the very best banana bread with super moist, soft and flavorful outcome, it is important to start out with those not so good looking overripe bananas! The riper the bananas, the more moist your bread will be and the more banana flavor it will have! The outcome of the bread will be tender and packed with full of flavor.
HOW TO MASH BANANA?
The easiest and fuss-free way to mash banana is using a bowl and a fork. Just peel the bananas, add them in a bowl and mash it with a fork. You can use one bowl and mash the bananas directly in the mixing bowl and then add the sugar, milk and follow the process. You can also grind it or blend it using blender or food processor. But this creates an extra work of washing this equipments after use. It is not necessary to mash the bananas completely smooth, but if you like it completely smooth then use food processor.
BANANA NUT BREAD INGREDIENTS
It is a very basic banana bread recipe. It uses ingredients most commonly found in our pantries.
● Whole Wheat Flour: For a healthier version used whole wheat flour.
● Banana: Used over riped bananas. Over riped bananas are best for baking cakes, cookies or bread.
● Brown Sugar: Brown sugar yields soft and moist bread or cakes. It adds incredible flavor and texture to the bread. It’s a healthier option too.
● Milk: Used whole milk. Recommend to use whole milk for extra richness, taste and texture.
● Oil: I have used refined sunflower oil. You can use any flavorless oil. I prefer using oil than butter for a soft and moist outcome.
● Leavening agents (Baking powder & baking soda): There’s a combination of baking powder and baking soda in this banana bread to give it the perfect amount of lift.
● Vinegar: Vinegar plays a huge role in rising. The reaction of vinegar with the baking soda release carbon dioxide, which helps cakes and breads rise as they bake.
● Banana nut bread essence: This is amazing flavor from Ossoro and takes your bread to another level. You need to try this one. I’ll add a link below from where you can buy, if you buy from one of our links, we may earn a commission.
● Salt: A dash of salt is always good in baked goodies. The salt helps to balance out the sweetness too.
● Nuts: Topped with lots of chopped almond and cashewnut. Since it is a banana nut bread recipe nuts are added, but you can omit them to make a plain banana bread.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA NUT BREAD:
This is the easiest banana bread recipe without using stand mixer or any fancy equipments. We make the batter using one bowl and a spatula. Do watch the video tutorial below on how to make this moist banana nut bread. You will be surprised to see how easy it is to make at the comfort of your home.
● In the mixing bowl mix together sugar and water. (You can mash the banana in the same bowl using fork and then add the sugar and milk).
● Mix in mashed banana, oil, essence and vinegar.
● Sift together dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda into the wet ingredients and make a lumps free batter.
● Transfer to prepared loaf pan.
● Top up with chopped nuts and bake.
I made a simple recipe video of incredibly easy banana nut bread for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you haven’t yet. It will mean a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
BANANA NUT BREAD RECIPE VIDEO
VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS IN BANANA NUT BREAD
● If you want more nutty taste and texture, add the nut in the batter also once the batter is ready. Lightly coat the nits with flour and just throw in the batter and give a quick gentle mix.
● Use nut of your choice like pecans or walnuts etc. You can also use mixed nuts as per your palate preference.
● If you like more sweeter bread, increase the sugar quantity.
● You may also replace the nut with chocolate chunks or chocolate chips to make it banana chocolate chips bread.
● Whole wheat flour can be substituted with all purpose flour (maida) or you can use 50-50 of both.
● You can use white sugar instead of brown sugar.
● You may also use other healthier sweeteners are jaggery, cane sugar, honey etc.
● You may use butter instead of oil or any flavorless oil will work.
● To make it vegan use dairy free milk like almond milk or just even water for the liquid.
● You may use vanilla extract or essence if you can’t source the Ossoro banana nut bread essence. But I recommend using it.
● You may make this bread with egg. Use 2 eggs and omit the baking soda and vinegar from the recipe.
You can put this batter into muffin tins and make banana nut muffins.
To make muffins, line a muffin tin with paper liners or just grease it with oil or butter and fill each cup to roughly ¾ full, and bake for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
Click the image to purchase this muffin tray
CAN I OMIT THE NUTS?
YES! The recipe will still work even if the nuts are omitted. I make it nut-free sometimes and it just turn out amazing with super soft, moist and scrumptious loaf. You can also replace them with some chocolate chunks or chips to make chocolate chip banana bread.
HOW TO STORE BANANA NUT BREAD?
Let the bread cool down completely. Cling wrap it or store it in airtight container.
HOW LONG DOES BANANA NUT BREAD LAST?
Banana bread can be kept for upto 3-4 days over the counter depending upon the temperature of your place. Cling wrap leftovers or store in airtight container. If you need to store it a couple days longer then I suggest storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
HOW TO FREEZE BANANA NUT BREAD?
Cling wrap the bread in and then aluminum foil or place in airtight freezer safe container after cling wrapping them. I prefer to freeze sliced bread so it’s much easier to take out the required servings and thaw them for breakfast or snacking. Freeze them for up to 3 months. It goes more than 3 months but best to use it within three months.To thaw the banana bread, remove from the freezer and allow it to come to room temperature.
MORE EASY AND POPULAR BANANA RECIPES TO TRY:
● Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Cake
● Multigrain Banana Cake
● Banana Chocolate Cake
● Banana Oats Loaf Cake
● Muesli Banana Cake
● Banana Cranberry Oats Cake
● Chocolate Banana Muffins
● Banana Chocolate Chips Muffins
● Banana Chocolate Chips Cookies
Here are all my Bakes & Cakes recipes if you’re craving more baking inspiration.
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
Try out this super easy and moist banana nut bread at the comfort of your home and I’m sure everyone will love it as much as we do! Do share your thoughts about the recipe with me here.
So let’s get started with the recipe. Let’s learn how to make banana nut bread with step by step pictures and recipe video. Please do read the recipe notes given below for tips and tricks to make the very best banana nut bread.
☆ 1 cup = 240 ml
☆ 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
☆ 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
☆ Pan size = 20 cm * 11.5 cm * 6 cm rectangle pan
Click the image to purchase this loaf pan
Ingredients to make Banan nut bread:
1½ cup whole wheat flour
⅔ cup (160 ml) brown sugar powder
¾ cup (180 ml) milk
½ cup (2 medium) banana mashed
¼ cup oil
1 tbsp vinegar
½ tsp banana nut bread essence ( I used Ossoro brand)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
3-4 tbsps almond & cashew chopped
Step by step pictorial instructions to make banana nut bread:
Grease a pan and lightly dust with flour or use parchment paper. Preheat oven @180° C for 10 minutes.
In a mixing bowl add the brown sugar, milk and mix well.
Add the mashed banana, oil, essence, vinegar and mix well to combine.
Seive in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Gently fold the wet and dry ingredients to make a smooth batter without lumps. Do not overmix the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and tap the pan on the surface for couple of times to release any air bubbles inside.
Sprinkle the chopped nut and gently press over with a spoon.
Bake at a preheated oven @180° C with both rods switched on for 50 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer inserted comes out clean.
Remove from the oven. Smear lightly butter and cover with a cloth and let the it stand in the pan for about 5 minutes.
Invert the cake and let it cool down completely before slicing them.
Slice the loaf and enjoy with hot cup of tea or coffee.
● Always preheat oven before starting to bake.
● All ingredients should be at room temperature.
● Whole wheat flour can be substituted with all purpose flour or can bake with 50-50 of both.
● Brown sugar can be substituted with regular refined sugar.
● Oil can be substituted with butter.
● Use whole milk for extra richness, taste and texture.
● Vinegar can be substituted with lemon juice.
● Other healthier sweeteners like jaggery, honey or cane sugar can be used.
● Every oven reacts differently so baking time may vary.
● Both rods to be switch on.
● If you wish to bake with eggs, use 2 eggs and omit the baking soda and vinegar.
Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread
- 20 cm * 11.5 cm * 6 cm rectangle pan
- 1½ cup (185 gms) whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup (120 gms) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) milk
- 2 Nos (½ cup mash) banana
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- ½ tsp banana nut bread essence or vanilla essence (I used Ossoro brand)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp cashew & almond chopped
- Grease a pan and lightly dust with flour or use parchment paper. Preheat oven @180° C for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add the brown sugar, milk and mix well.
- Add the mashed banana, oil, essence, vinegar and mix well to combine.
- Seive in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gently fold the wet and dry ingredients to make a smooth batter without lumps. Do not overmix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and tap the pan on the surface for couple of times to release any air bubbles inside.
- Sprinkle the chopped nut and gently press over with a spoon.
- Bake at a preheated oven @180° C with both rods switched on for 50 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Smear lightly butter and cover with a cloth and let the it stand in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Invert the cake and let it cool down completely before slicing them.
- Slice the loaf and enjoy with hot cup of tea or coffee.
- Always preheat oven before starting to bake.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Whole wheat flour can be substituted with all purpose flour or can bake with 50-50 of both.
- Brown sugar can be substituted with regular refined sugar.
- Oil can be substituted with butter.
- Use whole milk for extra richness, taste and texture.
- Vinegar can be substituted with lemon juice.
- Other healthier sweeteners like jaggery, honey or cane sugar can be used.
- Every oven reacts differently so baking time may vary.
- Both rods to be switch on.
- If you wish to bake with eggs, use 2 eggs and omit the baking soda and vinegar.
Well, if you make this banana nut bread, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Multi Purpose Parchment Paper
Measuring Cups And Spoons Set
28 thoughts on “Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread / Banana Nut Bread / Banana Nut Loaf Cake”
Thanks for stopping by 🙂
/Thank you, will definitely try this.
Thank you for stopping by… hope you like it 🙂
In case I use eggs, do I need to reduce the quantity of milk or any other ingredients except baking soda & vinegar?
Hi… Yes, you’ll be needing the milk only as required 🙂
Tried out the whole wheat banana nutty bread, it was amazing, my little one enjoyed it . Thank you.