Finally I am here to share a recipe with one of my favourite food ‘Tin Fish’. Tin Fish (sardine in tomato sauce) Curry is a thick gravy cooked with potatoes, onion, green chilly and medley of Indian masala spice powders. Its a quick and easy curry which goes perfectly well with piping hot steamed rice and any Indian flat breads.
This scrumptious curry is prepared using the aromatic and flavorful Ciba Spices masala spice powders. If you haven’t tried their product I wish you try them as it stands out from the masalas of other brand. I personally use their products and they are very aromatic and flavorful. It’s easily available in Amazon. I’ll add a link below from where you can buy, if you buy from one of our links, we may earn a commission.
This is one of the easiest recipe yet the tastiest which is ready under 20 minutes with only limited ingredients which are readily available in your pantry.
This is a kids friendly recipe. You don’t have to worry about the tiny bones. My little refuses to have fish just because of the bones in fish and specially the tiny bones. But this tin fish curry he loved it to the core with piping hot steamed rice. You can reduce the green chilly and chilly powder should you feel that it’s too spicy for the kids while making it.
Tin fish or canned fish comes in variety of dishes. Tuna, sardine, mackerel are few to be mentioned which are commonly available in super markets and grocery stores. This can be purchased and stored which comes in handy when you need to cook something quick and delicious but does not have fresh meats or seafood in stock. This are budget friendly too.
As mentioned above we get tin fish in variety. I love the big chunks variety which are simple brined and not in any sauces. Mackerel and sardine are my favourite, though this recipe was smaller variety with tomato sauce. When cooked properly, tinned fish whichever style you prepare turns out to be an absolutely delicious and delectable.
I made a simple recipe video of this super easy tin fish curry for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you haven’t yet. It will mean a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
TIN FISH CURRY VIDEO TUTORIAL
WHAT IS A TIN FISH OR CANNED FISH?
Tin fish are typically fish which have been processed & sealed tightly in a tin can. Canning is a method of preserving food protecting and provides a shelf life of usability running from one to five years.
VARIATIONS OF TIN FISH CURRY
● Curry – Tin fish can be prepared in gravy and semi-gravy variations just with simple masalas or with masalas and coconut milk.
● Semi-Dry – You can make this same recipe in semi-dry version. Open the tun fish and gently empty it in a bowl. Carefully take out the chunk fish and keep aside. First add the sauce and cook with the masalas and allow the sauce to to evaporate slightly not completely dry. Add the fish and gently stir taking care not to break the fish. Cook for couple of minutes and take off the heat.
● Fry – You can also prepare tin fish by simply frying them with onion, tomato, chilli and masala. Saute the ingredients with masalas and then add the tin fish with or without the brine and fry them for couple of minutes until the fried well. This serves as a perfect side dish. Goes very well with roti and chapati.
● Chutney – You can make variety of chutneys with tin fish. Some of naga style chutneys are – smoked the green chilly, tomato and tin fish chunks and mash them together. You can also boil the tin fish, chillies, tomato, some potato (optional) and mash them. One of the popular naga chutney of tin fish is boil the tin fish with fermented bamboo shoot, green chilly (tomato is optiknal). Mash the green chilly and roughly mash the tin fish. It’s yumm!
Looking for seafood recipes? Try this favourite and popular seafood recipes
● Shallow Fried King Fish
● Pan Grilled Green Masala Fish
● Fish Fingers
● Pan Seared Pepper Fish With Mashed Potato
● Green Chilly Masala Fish
● Karimeen Pollichathu ( Pearl spot in Banana Leaf)
● Fish And Prawn Tandoori Platter
● Garlic & Herbs Prawn With Chili Garlic Yogurt Dip
● Prawn 65
● Easy Pan Fried Fish
● Easy Fish Fry
● Restaurant Style Fish Fingers
● Fish With Bamboo Shoot
● Fish With Spinach (Zero Oil)
● Fish With Fermented Bamboo Shoot (Naga Fish)
● Masor Tenga
● Fish Head With Cauliflower & Potato
All of these recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
This is one of my favourite tin fish recipe. I make them as a curry or a dry version to have it as a side dish. This is really an easy peasy recipe. Whenever, I need to make a quick side dish or curry for rice or chapattis, I use canned fish which I’ve stocked in refrigerator. It is readily available in the super markets and grocery stores. Tin fish or canned fish are quite easy to make and can be prepared in many ways. The sky is the limit!
I hope you try this dish and do share your thoughts about the recipe wih me here. Now lets get started with the recipe and have a look at the step by step pictorial instructions with video tutorial.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients to make tin fish curry:
1 tin fish (200 gms)
2 tbsp oil
1 potato sliced
1 onion sliced
2 green chilly slit + 1 for garnish
1 tsp ginger garlic ground or paste
½ tsp Ciba turmeric powder
1 tsp Ciba kashmiri chilli powder
½ tsp Ciba coriander powder
½ tsp Ciba garam masala powder
¼ tsp Ciba pepper powder
1 cup water or as required
Salt to taste
Juice of ½ lemon
Step by step pictorial instructions to make tin fish curry:
Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the ginger garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Add onion and saute for a minute.
Add slit green chillies and saute for 30 seconds.
Add the ciba taaza spices masalas – turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt. Saute for 30 seconds.
Add potato slices and mix well. Cover the pan and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes .
Add water, cover the pan and cook further for about 10 minutes or until potato turns soft.
Add the tin fish and ciba taaza spices pepper powder. Gently mix and cook for about 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
Squeeze the lemon juice and add slit green chillies. Gently give a quick stir. Your tin fish curry is ready to be served.
Enjoy with piping hot steam rice or flat breads like dosa, chapati, roti etc.
● Can use any variety of tin fish.
● Try to use bigger variety of tin fish which have bigger pieces of fish.
● If cooking for kids, adjust the green chilly and chilly powder as required.
● You can make this semi-dry version. Check the variations notes given above.
● I used Ciba Taaza Spices masala powder, you have use any brand masala.
● You can cook this without the potatoes. But I love with potatoes.
● Since the tin fish I used was with tomato sauce, I haven’t used tomato here. You can add tomato if you’re using a plain tin fish.
● You can add coriander leaves. I haven’t used as I was not able to source it.
Well, if you make this tin fish curry, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.