This whole wheat carrot cake is an eggless cake made with whole wheat flour and freshly grated carrot. This slightly dense, moist and soft carrot cake is easy to make with basic and wholesome ingredients. The addition of the add-ons; a mixture of almond, cashew and raisins gives a nice texture to the cake making it an utterly delicious cake. This cake will soon become your new favourite!
This eggless carrot cake is very simple to make and bursting with flavor. It is a healthier made with whole wheat flour and healthy sweetner using it to the minimum to make it a lesser sugar cake with less sweetness. It is moist, soft and flavorful. Simply irresistible it is!
This carrot cake is egg-free, no butter, no refined sugar and no condensed milk healthier cake which is perfect to have as tea cake, breakfast, quick snack or as a dessert.
The cake has beautiful flavor of cinnamon and coconut, the combination of both is wonderful. The sweetner used for this cake is coconut sugar. The mild combination of both cinnamon and coconut flavor takes the cake to another level. You can feel the crunch from the add-ons of almond, cashewnuts, raisins in every bite of the cake. The cake is super soft and deliciously tasty. I bet this gonna become your favourite cake!
This atta carrot cake is kids friendly too. You can serve it as a snacks or pack them in tiffin box. It is a perfect way to feed carrot to kids who are fussy eater and refuse to have vegetables like carrot in their diet. Even my kid refuse to have any vegetables so I always try and find ways how to incorporate this healthier stuffs in his diet.
LET’S TALK INGREDIENTS
● Like my most cake recipes, this carrot cake is also made of whole wheat flour for a healthier treat.
●Buttermilk is used as a replacement for egg and it works so well. I always prefer to use curd aka yogurt or buttermilk for my eggless cakes and bakes.
● I added cinnamon powder and used coconut sugar to flavor the cake. I love the combination of cinnamon and coconut; they go so well together. I love the flavor and warmth of cinnamon in my baked goodies.
● I have used add-ons which is a mixture of almond, cashew and raisin to give a nice taste, texture and crunch to the cake.
● I always prefer to use oil in my cakes and love the oil-based cakes more than butter-based cakes. The cake turns moist, soft and spongy too.
● I used young and tender carrots for carrot cakes. Always peel them first and finely grate them. Finely grated carrot gives a moist and lovely texture cake.
HOW TO STORE WHOLE WHEAT CARROT CAKE?
You can store this cake for upto 2 days in room temperature during summer. If you are unable to finish the cake, you can refrigerate it, it will stay good for few more days. Refrigerating it makes the cake little hard due to the chillness so you can microwave it for few seconds or keep it in room temperature for few minutes and then serve.
WHY YOU’ll LOVE THIS CARROT CAKE
I love carrot cakes because this is a healthier alternative to other cakes. This cake is my personal favourite. Apart from this I also love my semolina carrot cake which is also one amongst the most liked cake; tried and tested by many. There are few reasons why this is my personal favourite and why you’ll love this cake.
● This cake is incredibly delicious and moist. The cake is tender with awesome from inside and out. The carrot is the star of this recipe and imparts a great taste and texture to the cake.
● This cake is also flavored with cinnamon which makes the cake utterly irresistible.
● This cake is deliciously tasty and got a beautiful texture and colour from coconut sugar. It is not a very sweet cake as I preferred not too sweet. It’s just sweet and tastes like a true treat. Of course sweetness can be adjusted as per ones sweet tooth.
● This carrot cake does not have any frosting of whipped cream or cream cheese but still it stands out. It is healthy as well as tasty.
● This cake is so simple and easy to make. It doesn’t require any fancy ingredients, equipments or techniques. Even a novice or a beginner can easily bake this and devour it. You don’t need a stand or hand mixer. Just a hand whisk or spatula to whisk together the wet ingredients and then stir in the rest of the ingredients to combine together. It doesn’t get easier than that.
● This cake is made with wholesome ingredients, but unless you reveal it no one will know it. The recipe uses whole wheat flour rather than all-purpose flour. Unflavored vegetable oil is used which yields a wonderfully moist cake. Coconut sugar is used as sweetner. Cinnamon powder for flavoring the cake. The combination of cinnamon and coconut flavor from the sugar is amazing and out of the world.
● This recipe is versatile. You can make changes as per your taste buds by adding or opting out the ingredients. You can play with ingredients and give twist to the recipe. Check the detailed mention of recipe variations and ingredients substitution below.
VARIATIONS AND INGREDIENTS SUBSTITUTION FOR CARROT CAKE
● Additional spice like ginger powder and all spice powder may be added to make the cake more spiced and flavorful.
● You may use any add-ons like walnuts, pecan, pistachios or a mixture of dry fruits and nuts.
● You may frost the cake with cream cheese or whipped cream. But cream cheese goes very well with carrot cake and taste amazingly good.
● You may leave out the nuts or the add-ons if you dont want to use them. The plain carrot cake without add-ons taste as good as with nuts. There is no compromise on taste and texture.
● You may use the same recipe and make muffins out of it.
● You may substitute whole wheat flour with all purpose flour if you wish.
● If you want to substitute coconut sugar, I would recommend using brown sugar if it is available or else can use jaggery or cane sugar or refined sugar. Refined sugar being the last recommendation.
● Oil can be substituted with olive oil, coconut oil or melted butter.
● If you already have the ready made buttermilk or store bought buttermilk you can use that instead of milk and vinegar.
CAN THIS CARROT CAKE BE MADE WITH EGGS?
YES you can… To make this carrot cake using egg you may use 2 eggs. First break the eggs in the mixing bowl one after the other and whisk for few minutes, followed by the oil and milk. You’ll need to opt out the vinegar and reduce the milk to ½ cup – ¾ cup according to the size of the eggs. Adjust the batter consistency by adding ½ cup first and add gradually little at a time until desired consistency is achieved. You’ll also need to opt out the baking soda if you’re using egg.
WHAT SHOULD BE THE BATTER CONSISTENCY?
Many a times I get this query from my readers as to what should be the batter consistency of the cake.The batter consistency should be more runny than muffins but thicker than cakes. The batter should pour it (slowly) and not scoop into the pan.
TIPS AND IMPORTANT NOTES TO MAKE A PERFECT CARROT CAKE
● Use young carrots to make carrot cakes. It gives natural sweetness and more flavorful. Always peel them before grating.
● I use mini vegetable hand chopper to grate my carrot. It’s the easiest way to grate your carrots beautifully and can grate it as per your preference whether you want it very finely grated or vice versa. I always prefer finely chopped carrot for making carrot cake so that your batter might not be lumpy. Further, your cake might be partially cooked from inside even though your cake looks like fully baked from the outside.
● Do not overmix the cake batter. It may end up into a very densed and hard cake. Please watch the recipe video for better understanding.
● Always grease your cake pans to avoid your cake from sticking to the bottom. You may grease the pan and dust with flour too. You can also use butter paper or parchment paper. Just greasing alone does the job as I most of the time just grease with oil alone.
● Let the cake cool down completely before slicing them. I can relate how much we get excited once the cake is out of oven. Specially with kids around sometimes we end up cutting the cake before cooling down completely.
● All ingredients to be at room temperature.
● Always preheat oven before starting your bake.
● Sieve the flour 2-3 times, this helps in getting a nice texture to the cake.
● Be careful with your cake batter. It should not be running. The batter consistency should be slightly thick but flowing.
● Do not open the oven frequently to check the cake while the baking is in process.
● Each oven reacts differently so baking time may differ since the temperature varries from oven to oven.
● If you can’t finish the cake in a day or two, you need to refrigerate the cake to go good for some few more days. Since the cake is loaded with fresh carrot it won’t stay long in room temperature unlike other cakes.
FEW OF MY RECENT AND SOME OF MY FAVOURITE CAKE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE TO TRY
• Apple Cinnamon Cake
• Whole Wheat Fruit And Nut Cake
• Whole Wheat Orange Cake
• Eggless Malai Cake / Cream Cake
• Berry Jam Cake
• Chocolate Wine Fruit Cake
• Custard Powder Cake
• Rajma Brownies/Kidney Beans Brownies
• Glazed Orange Bundt Cake
IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE WHOLE WHEAT CAKE RECIPES, YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
• Multigrain Banana Cake
• Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake
• Chocolate Wine Fruit Cake
• Banana Chocolate Cake
• Protein Rich Nuts & Seed Cake
• Banana Walnut Cake
• Chocolate Vanilla Cake
• Double Chocolate Coffee Cake
• Mawa Pistachios Cake
CHECK OUT MY MUFFINS RECIPES HERE
All of these recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
So give this delectable and addictive cake a try and let me know how much you like it. Do share your thoughts about the recipe with me here! I would love to see that.
Let’s move on to the step by step recipe to make whole wheat carrot cake at the comfort of your home. Please do read the important recipe notes mentioned above before starting your bake.
I made a simple recipe video of whole wheat carrot cake for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel. It will means a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
WHOLE WHEAT CARROT CAKE RECIPE VIDEO
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Baking time : 40 minutes
Serves : 6-8
☆ Measuring cup used is 240 ml
☆ Cake pan size is 20 cm × 11.5 cm × 6 cm
Ingredients to make whole wheat carrot cake:
1 cup Whole Wheat flour
1 cup Milk
1 cup grated Carrot
1 tsp Vinegar or lemon juice
½ cup Coconut sugar or brown sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon powder
¼ cup Oil (60 ml)
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla extract
¼ tsp Salt
½ cup Add-ons (almond, cashew & raisins)
How to make whole wheat carrot cake with detailed step by step picture instructions:
Preheat the oven @180° C for 10 mins. Grease the cake pan with oil or butter. You can also dust with flour after greasing with oil or line with parchment paper which is optional.
Sieve the flour 2-3 times and set aside.In a mixing bowl add the milk and vinegar, mix well and set aside. After 5 minutes the milk will curdle and your buttermilk is ready.
In a small bowl add the add-ons and 1 tsp flour, mix well and set aside.
In a mixing bowl add the sugar and oil, whisk to combine them.
Add the buttermilk, whisk well and allow sugar to melt.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and salt. Gently fold them. Add vanilla extract and mix.
Add the add-ons and grated carrot. Gently fold them to make a smooth batter.
Pour the batter into the greased pan and tap the pan for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles.
Bake the cake at preheated oven @180°C for 40 minutes. Start checking from 35 mins. A tooth pick inserted should come out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and let it stand for about 5-10 minutes. Demould and let the cake cool down completely on a cooling rack. Cut into slices and serve.
Well, if you make this whole wheat carrot cake, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.