Whole Wheat Orange Cake / Moist Orange Cake – Eggless
Fragrant, moist, soft and eggless whole wheat orange cake made with freshly squeezed orange juice and fresh orange zest. This is the best orange cake I’ve been making with the perfect balance of sweetness and tartness. Perfect for time tea and also a perfect base cake for icing and frosting.
ABOUT THIS WHOLE WHEAT ORANGE CAKE RECIPE
Whole wheat orange cake is an easy and fuss free recipe. Simple orange cake recipe made with whole wheat flour, curd/yogurt & malai as “egg substitute” and jaggery as sweetner.
The cake is super moist and is full of citrus flavor. The orange zest added to the cake takes it to the next level.
The cake is so soft and flavorful. Bursting with fresh orange flavor, this cake is a treat to smell and eat. It filled my whole home with a beautiful orange aroma.
The texture is soft and the flavor is amazing thanks to fresh orange juice and zest!
The use of whole wheat flour and jaggery imparts the cake its dark look.
CAN I USE STORE-BOUGHT ORANGE JUICE INSTEAD?
This eggless orange jaggery cake recipe is made with fresh orange juice but yes you can even use readymade orange juice.
But if you ask me, I personally and highly recommend to use fresh orange juice as freshly squeezed oranges make the cake perfectly moist, juicy and fragrant. Also orange is in season now and is available in plenty so it won’t be a problem sourcing it.
I HOPE YOU’LL LIKE THIS ORANGE CAKE. THIS ORANGE CAKE IS:
• Super simple & easy
• So delicious
• maintains a perfect balance of sweet and tart
• Perfect for tea time & breakfast
• A simple dessert to bring with you for potlucks and picnics.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT MOIST ORANGE CAKE?
Start by mixing the curd and baking soda and let it stand for 5-10 mins to let it react. The reaction of curd with baking soda releases carbon dioxide and this reaction aerates the batter which helps in leavening the cake resulting to a perfect baked cake. You get soft, fluffy, spongy and moist cake.
Gather all the ingredients at room temperature.
Use freshly squeezed orange juice and zest of fresh orange. You can either use a fruit squeezer or collect the orange segment along and blend them in a juicer or in mixer.
For the orange zest, grated only the skin of the orange peel. Be careful not the grate the white part of the peel. It is better in taste and will make the cake bitter.
Add the wet ingredients one after the other in the curd mixture followed by flour, baking powder, salt and make a smooth batter. Pour the batter into a greased pan, garnish with chocolate chips and bake them perfectly at a preheated oven into a golden beauty.
Now, all you need is a cup of hot refreshing tea or coffee to wipe out this cake.
I like easy and simple cake recipes for everyday treats. Haven’t really ventured into the world of complicated frostings and fondant cake. The simple chocolate cake with chocolate ganache frosting is probably the most involved cake recipe on the blog just because it has an extra step of slicing the cake into half and then covering it with homemade frosting!
Eggless orange jaggery cake is indeed one of my all-time favorite dessert or tea time cake. I baked it countless times and despite a number of recipes on the blog, it’s always the one I go back to whenever I need to prepare a quick dessert for my friends or family. Because it’s easy, moist, and so good that will make you reach for the second slice in seconds!
This pairs so well with orange caramel sauce recipe of which is coming up on the blog soon. I also love the glazed orange bundt cake which is also so easy and simple to make and taste amazingly delicious.
IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE WHOLE WHEAT CAKE RECIPES, YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
• Multigrain Banana Cake
• Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake
• Chocolate Wine Fruit Cake
• Banana Chocolate Cake
• Protein Rich Nuts & Seed Cake
• Banana Walnut Cake
• Chocolate Vanilla Cake
• Double Chocolate Coffee Cake
• Mawa Pistachios Cake
CHECK OUT THE COMPLETE BAKES RECIPES HERE
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
USEFUL TIPS AND NOTES:
• All ingredients should be at room temperature.
• Sieve the flour 2-3 times, this helps in getting a nice texture to the cake.
• You may increase the jaggery to 1 cup if you prefer more sweetness.
• You may replace whole wheat flour with all purpose flour or any healthier flour.
• You may substitute oil with melted butter.
• You may substitute jaggery with regular sugar, cane sugar or brown sugar.
• You may substitute fresh cream with yogurt or whole milk.
• You may substitute vanilla extract with vanilla essence.
• You can garnish the cake with chopped pistachios or with tutti frutti or nuts and dry fruits of your choice.
• Each oven reacts differently so baking time may differ since the temperature varries from oven to oven. Keep a check from 30 minutes onwards.
• Do not open the oven frequently to check the cake while baking is in process.
• Always use the perfect and correct size of cake pan.
This recipe is a winner! I bet you will never say no. So guys do try this eggless whole wheat orange jaggery cake and thank me later 😜. And please do not forget to share your thoughts about the recipe with me here. Let’s move on to the step by step recipe to make eggless orange jaggery cake at home.
☆ Measuring cup used is 240 ml
☆ Cake pan size is 20 cm × 11.5 cm × 6 cm
Step by step pictures instructions to make whole wheat orange cake:
Take the curd and baking soda in a bowl, stir well and make it smooth. Keep aside while you make ready the other ingredients.
Sieve the flour 2-3 times and keep aside.
Add jaggery and fresh cream to the curd mixture and whisk well.
Add oil and vanilla extract and whisk well.
Add the orange zest and orange juice and whisk the mixture well.
Add the flour, salt and baking powder into it and make a smooth batter.
Grease a cake pan with oil and preheat oven @180° C for 10 mins.
Pour the batter into the greased pan, tap the pan for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles and garnish with chocolate chips.
Bake the cake at preheated oven @180° C for 30 minutes. A toothpick inserted should come out clean. If it’s not done bake for another 5 minutes.
Remove the cake from oven and allow the cake to cool down in the pan for about 5-10 minutes.
Allow the cake to cool down completely then slice and serve.
Whole Wheat Orange Cake (Eggless)
- Mixing bowl
- 240 ml measuring cup set
- 7 inches rectangle cake tin
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (128 grams)
- ¾ cup jaggery
- ½ cup fresh orange juice (120 ml)
- ¼ cup oil (60 ml)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup curd/yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh cream (you can substitute with yogurt or milk)
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoon chocolate chips (optional) (you can use nuts of your choice too)
- Take the curd and baking soda in a bowl, stir well and make it smooth. Keep aside while you make ready the other ingredients.
- Sieve the flour 2-3 times and keep aside.
- Add jaggery and fresh cream to the curd mixture and whisk well.
- Add oil and vanilla extract and whisk well.
- Add the orange zest and orange juice and whisk the mixture well.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder into it and make a smooth batter.
- Grease a cake pan with oil and preheat oven @180° C for 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan, tap the pan for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles and garnish with chocolate.
- Bake the cake at preheated oven @180° C for 30 minutes. A toothpick inserted should come out clean. If it’s not done bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from oven and allow the cake to cool down in the pan for about 5-10 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool down completely then slice and serve.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Sieve the flour 2-3 times, this helps in getting a nice texture to the cake.
- You may increase the jaggery to 1 cup if you prefer more sweetness.
- You may replace whole wheat flour with all purpose flour or any healthier flour.
- You may substitute oil with melted butter.
- You may substitute jaggery with regular sugar, cane sugar or brown sugar.
- You may substitute the fresh cream with yogurt or whole milk.
- You may substitute vanilla extract with vanilla essence.
- You can garnish the cake with chopped pistachios or with tutti frutti or nuts and dry fruits of your choice.
- Each oven reacts differently so baking time may differ since the temperature varries from oven to oven. Keep a check from 30 minutes onwards.
- Do not open the oven frequently to check the cake while baking is in process.
- Always use the perfect and correct size of cake pan.
Well, if you make this whole wheat orange cake, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
Disclosure: At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Hua You 3 in 1 Aluminium Round Cake Mould (8/7/6.5 Inch)
SYGA Non Stick Carbon Steel Baking Tray_Black
Ossoro French Vanilla Flavour, 30 ml
Kitchenette Brown Food Wrapping and Baking Paper (Unbleached & Chlorine Free) – 15 Meters
Muskan Collection roti Paper wrap Eco-Friendly, Non-Bleached, Non-Wax, Non-Stick Butter Paper for Cooking Parchment Paper Babking Paper (10×10-inch) – Pack of 100 Sheets by Muskan Collection
sakoraware Plastic Measuring Spoon and Cup Set (10 pcs) Combo with Silicone Spatula and Pastry Brush Set and Stainless Steel Egg Whisker (8 Inches)
BICHI™ Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale, Kitchen Scale Digital Multipurpose, Weight Machines for Kitchen, Weight Machine, Weight Scale Kitchen, Kitchen Weight Machine, Kitchen Weighing Scale Digital
Borosil PRO 42 L OTG, with Motorised Rotisserie and Convection, 2000W, 6 Stage Heat Selection, Black
Philips HD6975/00 25-Litre Digital Oven Toaster Grill (Grey)
PIXEL HOME © Printed Apron with Centre Pocket 100% Cotton with Oven Mitten with Free Pot Holder – Designer Product Apron with Ties at Both End – Unisex Apron (Green Flower Print)