Who doesn’t love a lamington cake? Fluffy and light vanilla cake squares coated in chocolate and then coated in desiccated coconut. Lamingtons is an Australian dessert where plain vanilla sponge cake are cut into squares, dipped in chocolate sauce and coated in dessicated coconut. Soft, spongy and melt in the mouth dessert. The tiny sponge squares are party pleasers and the kids love them!
Australians celebrate National Lamington Day on 21st July.
Today I am here with a delicious and melt in the mouth dessert. Lamington is one of my favourite dessert. I often make this dessert and everytime I fall in love with it. Off late I was not able to photograph it as it vanishes off in jiffy. I do have old photographs of these lamingtons which I photographed it couple of years back when I didn’t had a blog. It’s been a while I baked lamingtons. So I decided to bake some today. I wanted to blog it with new photographs which I have been thinking from long and finally I could photograph it today before it vanishes off. I am feeling so glad I could do it.
WHAT IS A LAMINGTON?
Lamington is a famous Australian dessert made of sponge cake. Soft vanilla sponge cake is cut into squares, dipped in chocolate sauce and coated in desiccated coconut. They are so soft, spongy and decadent. Moreover, they are so easy to make and sinfully delicious that you will probably want to make this again and again! Above all, these lamingtons are also a crowd pleaser and treat to the eyes.
Sometimes lamingtons can be made from butter cake or yellow cake, but most of the time, they are made using light and fluffy sponge cake.
The traditional recipe calls for individual sponge cake square to be dipped in a chocolate sauce and then coated in dessicated coconut. These days there are fancy variations of Lamingtons. Sometimes two lamington halves are sandwiched with chocolate ganache, cream or strawberry or any other jam before dunking in chocolate. Also some coat them with strawberry, raspberry or other jams and then roll in desiccated coconut. Strawberry Lamingtons are called as pink lamingtons.
HOW TO MAKE LAMINGTONS?
Making Lamingtons is classified into 3 parts. When we say 3 parts it might sound complicated but it is not. Yes, you heard me right! Making lamingtons is so easy and the end result is simple irresistible. Its fluffy and light and totally addictive just on it’s own.
● Making Sponge Cake – I made an eggless sponge cake vanilla flavoured using curd (yogurt). I used both butter and oil because I want my sponge cake to be not only soft, spongy and fluffy but moist also. My eggless cake turned out moist, soft and fluffy. It got a lovely texture with flat top without cracks. You can use the classic sponge cake made using egg and butter.
● Make Chocolate Sauce – There are many variations that people make chocolate sauce/icing for the Lamingtons. Some use ganache to dip the cake squares. Mostly use confectioners sugar, cocoa powder and milk or water. In addition to these melted chocolate and butter is also added by many. Here I have used confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, butter, melted chocolate and water.
● Assemble Lamingtons – The sponge cake are sliced into individual cake square bites. These cake squares are dipped in the chocolate sauce and then coated in dry grated coconut or store bought desiccated coconut. Nowadays we come across fancy variations of lamingtons. They are sandwiched with jam, cream or chocolate ganache or spreads before dunking in chocolate sauce. It is also coated with strawberry or other fruit jams and then rolled in desiccated coconut.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERY SPONGE WITH EGG?
You can replace the curd with 2 eggs and use 100 gms butter or ½ cup/1 stick butter. Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add egg one at the time and whisk well. Rest follow the instruction mentioned below in the recipe instructions. Baking soda is not need if using egg.
WHICH BAKING PAN IS BEST FOR LAMINGTONS?
Traditionally the cake is baked in a square baking pan and the cake is cut into squares. I used 7″ square baking pan. Baking in square pan gives the cake perfect cake square bites. We need not trim the sides to turn into cake squares. So ultimately it saves the cake too from leftover peices and cake crumbles. If you don’t have square baking pan, you may use rectangle pan.
HOW TO STORE LAMINGTONS?
Lamington can be stored in airtight container and will stay good and fresh for atleast 3-4 days in room temperature. To store for longer days you can store in refrigerator. If stored in freezer it will go for upto 3 months.
How beautiful they look and simply irresistible. This looks so decadent, delectable and delicious! The chocolate and coconut on top is simply blissful. The chocolate icing is quite a delicious addition to cake along with the dry grated coconut. These gorgeous little cakes are absolutely divine.
Lamingtons are perfect dessert for parties, holiday gatherings and for potlucks. They’re perfect for morning and afternoon tea too! It is best eaten with a fork.
Some More Cake Recipes Without Eggs That You Might Like:
Eggless Malai Cake
Tricolor Vanilla Cake
Custard Powder Cake
Berry Jam Cake
Glazed Orange Bundt Cake
Tutti Frutti Cake
Eggless Vanilla Muffins
Milk Powder Cake
Protein Rich Nut & Seed Cake
Mawa Pistachios Cake
Eggless Ghee Cake / Clarified Butter Cake
Check Out The Complete Bakes & Cakes Recipes HERE
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
I really want you to try this if you’ve not tried lamingtons before. Please check out the recipe and share your thoughts about the recipe with me here.
So let’s get started with the recipe. Let’s learn how to make eggless lamington with step by step pictures and recipe video. Please do read the recipe notes given below.
I made a simple recipe video of Eggless Lamingtons for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel. It will means a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
EGGLESS LAMINGTONS RECIPE VIDEO
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
☆ Pan size = 7″ square pan
☆ 1 cup = 240 ml
☆ 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
☆ 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Ingredients to make eggless lamingtons:
1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup curd
½ cup powdered sugar
50 gms butter (room temperature)
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking Soda
½ tsp vanilla essence
¾ cup milk (180 ml)
For Chocolate Sauce:
½ cup confectioners sugar or powdered sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ cup melted chocolate
¼ cup water (4 tbsp)
2 tbsp butter melted
1-2 cups desiccated coconut or dry grated coconut
Ossoro’s cocoa powder is available in Amazon. Click the image below to buy 👇
Step by step pictorial instructions to make eggless lamingtons:
Making Sponge Cake:
Preheat oven @180°C (350°F) for 10 minutes. Lightly grease a 7″ square baking pan with oil and dust it with flour. You can line the bottom with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl add the butter and powdered sugar and whisk to combine.
Add the oil and whisk well until smooth and fluffy.
Add the curd, milk, vanilla essence and mix well until well combined.
Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
Gently fold them to make a smooth and lumps free batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and tap the pan on the surface for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles inside.
Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down in the pan for about 5 minutes.
Invert and let it cool down completely. Cut the cake into squares.
Making Chocolate Sauce:
In a bowl add the ingredients mentioned under the chocolate sauce list. Whisk it well and make a smooth, lumps free sauce. The consistency of the sauce is not very thick nor a runny sauce.
Take the desiccated coconut and spread them in a plate or bowl.
Take the cake squares, dip them in the chocolate sauce nicely. Now coat them in the dessicated coconut all over nicely. Place them in a platter and set aside for few minutes to set. Continue the same with rest of the cakes squares.
Your eggless lamingtons are ready to be served.
● You can use only butter to bake the cake. Use 100 gms butter (½ cup/1 stick).
● If you want to bake with eggs, used 2 eggs instead of curd. Leave out the baking soda if you’re baking with eggs.
● You can use desiccated coconut or dry grated coconut to coat the lamingtons.
● You can sandwich the Lamingtons with jams, cream or chocolate ganache or spreads before dipping in the chocolate icing.
● To make fancy lamingtons coat the cake squares in your favourite jam instead of chocolate sauce and then roll in coconut.
● If confectioners sugar is not available, you can simply powder your regular sugar. Just grind them finely in your blender or mixie.
● Recommended to use square cake pan for baking the cake.
● If you don’t have square pan, you can bake in rectangle baking pan.
● Always preheat the oven and bake any goodies in preheated oven.
● Baking time will vary as every oven reacts differently. Check after 25-30 minutes. If not don’t done bake for few minutes extra.
● All ingredients should be at room temperature.
Well, if you make this eggless lamingtons, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.