A nourishing Indian chicken stew which is extremely delicious, light and nutritious. Chicken vegetable stew is basically chicken cooked in a mild yet a very flavorful runny broth/stew. It’s a scrumptious dish which is super easy and prepared with easily available pantry ingredients. A delicious Indian spiced chicken stew with potatoes, carrot, beans and a blend of Indian spices. A simple yet a complete and comforting dish.
This is my kinda of dish which I so love to make and gorge on it with piping hot rice most of the time. Along with this, I also make various kinds of chicken stew, one of which is the traditional Naga chicken stew which is zero oil and with fermented bamboo shoot. Yes, that’s a perfect comfort food for me!
Do check out my naga traditional chicken recipes Amsu (Chicken With Rice Flour), Chicken With Greens, Chicken Porridge, Chicken With Dry Bamboo Shoot. Also other stews recipes are Chicken Stew, Chicken Brocolli Stew.
It’s our family favourite and I am so excited to share this wholesome recipe with my readers. This dish is perfect and suitable for anyone irrespective of age. Even Kids and aged people can devour love this hearty, filling & nutritious chicken stew. My kiddo love this to the core. Off course he would leave out some of the vegetables but the broth itself has got so much nutrients from the veggies so I am happy.
These stews are so simple to prepare and super quick. The dish comes together in minimum amount of time and a nourishing one-pot dish is ready in just 20 minutes.
WHAT IS INDIAN SPICED CHICKEN STEW?
This is a light, thin and mildly spiced chicken stew which uses vegetables like potato, beans, carrot along with onion, tomato, green chillies, ginger garlic and curry leaves. Spices like cumin seeds, fennel spices, cracked peppercorns and masala powders like turmeric, Kashmiri chilli, coriander, garam masala powders are used.
The spice powders used are from Ciba Taaza Spices which are so distinct and flavorful, it takes your dish to a different level.
This light and mildly spiced chicken stew with vegetables is a nutritious treat for your family and loved one.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN STEW WITH VEGETABLES?
This wholesome recipe is a straight forward recipe and prepared in one pot with simple cooking process.
Cumin and fennel seeds are tempered in hot oil followed by curry leaves and ground ginger garlic. Then onion, green chillies and tomatoes are saute until tomato turns soft and mushy. Masala powders are done added followed by chicken and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes. Then add potatoes and water and cook for another 10 minutes. Add the rest vegetable and cook for 5-6 minutes and take off the heat. Squeeze lemon juice and season with cracked peppercorns and it’s ready to be served. You can add few chopped coriander leaves too.
I made a simple recipe video of this hearty chicken stew with vegetables recipe for my readers which I have shared below. Please do watch and SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you haven’t yet. It will mean a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
Chicken Stew With Vegetables Tutorial Video
WHAT CAN BE SUBSTITUTED WITH CHICKEN?
This recipe is so versatile. You can cook this stew with mutton, lamb, beef, pork, fish, prawns and crabs to make a non-vegetarian version wholesome stew.
LET’S TALK INGREDIENTS
● Chicken – I always prefer to use chicken on the bone for this recipe. Infact not only this dish but almost all. Cooking stew with chicken on the bone makes the stew more flavourful.
● Oil – I used sunflower oil here.
● Whole spices – Cumin seeds and fennel seeds are tempered in the oil at the very first.
● Ginger garlic – I prefer to freshly ground the ginger and garlic in mortar and pestle instead of using store bought paste or mixie grinded ginger garlic paste.
● Onion – Saute the chopped onion
● Green chilly – Saute chopped green chilly along wih onion.
● Tomato – Chopped tomato is used and saute until it is soft and turns mushy.
● Masala spice powders – I have used Ciba Taaza masala powders. Spice powders used are turmeric, Kashmiri chilli, coriander and garam masala powder.
● Vegetables – Potatoes, yardlong beans and carrots are used here. You can use any seasonal veggies.
● Curry leaves – Curry leaves are tempered along with ground ginger and garlic.
● Peppercorns – Cracked peppercorns is used here. I prefer cracked peppercorns over pepper powder.
● Lemon juice – A dash of lemon juice is added once the stew is done and the heat is turned off.
● Salt – Salt to taste, without salt the dish is incomplete.
● Water – I used about 3 cups of water. I liked a thin and runny broth/stew. Water can be added as per one’s requirement.
● You can add whole spices like cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf etc.
● You can add coconut milk. This makes the stew more creamier and tastes delicious.
● You can add any seasonal vegetables to this stew.
● You can add mushroom to this stew. This combo taste amazing.
● You can make zero oil and no masala spice version. Just boil the chicken with green chilly and tomato. Then add the veggies, ginger garlic and season it with cracked peppercorns.
WHICH VEGETABLES CAN BE USED IN THIS STEW?
You could use any vegetables of your choice. Here I have used potatoes, carrots and beans. But you can also use green peas, cauliflower, cabbage, green peas etc.
It tastes absolutely delicious and goes perfectly well with piping hot rice, idli, dosa, appam, idiyappam (String hoppers) etc.
FEW CHICKEN STARTERS RECIPE YOU MIGHT LOVE TO TRY
● Bhut Jolokia Grilled Chicken
● Chicken Leg Fry
● Crispy Fried Chicken
● Chicken 65
● Easy Grilled Chicken Salad
● Pizza Stuffed Meatloaf
● Cheesy Chicken Fritters
● Tandoori Chicken
● Chicken Pakora
● Baked Whole Chicken Leg
● Pan Baked Chicken Leg
● Peri Peri Chicken
● Spiced Fried Chicken
● Coca Cola Chicken
FEW CHICKEN SIDE DISHES YOU’LL LOVE
THE CHICKEN CURRY COLLECTION
● Chettinad Chicken Curry
● Easy Chicken Curry
● Chicken Manchurian
● Butter Chicken
● Pepper Chicken Gravy
● Chicken Kola Urundai Kuzhambu
● Black Pepper Chicken
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
I am sure you’ll be excited to try this wholesome dish for your family and loved one. I only wish you try this recipe and hope you like it as much as we do! Please do share your thoughts about the recipe with me here.
So let’s get started with the recipe. Let’s learn how to make chicken vegetable stew with easy step by step pictures and recipe video.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Ingredients to make chicken vegetable stew:
500 gms chicken
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp ginger garlic ground or paste
5-6 curry leaves
1 onion chopped
1 green chilly chopped
1 tomato chopped
1 potato cubed
1 carrot sliced
5-6 long beans chopped
½ tsp ciba turmeric powder
1 tsp ciba kashmiri chilli powder
½ tsp ciba coriander powder
½ tsp ciba garam masala powder
Salt to taste
2-3 cups water or as required
Juice of ½ lemon
¼ tsp cracked peppercorns
Disclosure: At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image below if you wish to buy online from Amazon.
Step by step pictorial instructions to make chicken vegetable stew:
Heat oil in a pot or pan. Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Saute and let it crackle.
Add curry leaves, ginger garlic paste and saute for few seconds.
Add chopped onion, green chillies and saute for a minute.
Add the ciba masala powders – turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Saute for about 30 seconds.
Add chopped tomatoes and saute until it turns soft and mushy.
Add chicken and mix well with the masala. Cover with lid and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
Add potatoes and waterand stir well. Now cover the pot and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
Add the beans and carrot and give a quick stir. Cover the pot with lid and cook for 5-6 minutes and turn off the heat.
Squeeze the lemon juice and season with cracked peppercorns.
Your chicken vegetable stew is ready to be served. Enjoy!
● If you’re are making this stew for kids, adjust the green chilly and chilly powder accordingly.
● I have used sunflower oil, you can use mustard oil or any refined vegetable oils.
● You can add any vegetables of your choice.
● Mushroom can be added, it tastes really good.
● Few chopped coriander leaves can be added at the end.
● Add water as per your broth requirement.
Well, if you make this chicken vegetable stew, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.