Who doesn’t love tandoori chicken?? Tandoori Chicken is a lip smacking and a popular dish from the Indian Subcontinent and became world famous dish. Very few people over the world would have not heard about tandoori chicken.
The authentic and traditional tandoori chicken is made in a tandoor, a cylindrical clay oven. Though this recipe is not a traditional recipe made using tandoor but its worth a try. The chicken is marinated in curd/yogurt and spices and baked or grilled to perfection. You can easily make it at home in an oven or in a pan over gas top.
It is easy and quick to prepare once the chicken is well marinated for couple of hours or best marinated overnight. The marinade does all the work.
The chicken is juicy, succulent, flavorful and delicious. The secret to juicy, tender chicken is the curd/yogurt. The acidity causes the chicken to retain more moisture while adding flavour.
So here’s how you make tandoori chicken in an oven. Do try out and let me know how it turned out for you.
- Preparation time : 15 mins plus marination time
- Cooking time : 30-35 mins
- Serves : 2-3
First Marination :
- 400 gms Chicken Leg & Wings
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
Second Marination :
- 2 tbsps inch Ginger
- 1 tbsp Mustard oil
- ¼ cup curd/yogurt
- 2 tbsps Kashmiri red chilly powder
- ½ tsp Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- ½ tsp Amchur powder (Mango Powder)
- ½ tsp crushed kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Salt to taste
- Take the chicken leg and make 2-3 slashes on both the sides. Pat dry the chicken in a kitchen towel. Marinate the chicken with the first marination ingredients for 30 mins.
- Add the second marination ingredients, mix well and rub the marinade coating the chicken nicely including the slashes. Marinate them overnight or atleast 3-4 hours.
- Preheat oven @200° for 10 mins. Line the baking tray with foil paper.
- Before putting the chicken into the oven make sure you take out the chicken from the refrigerator couple of hours ahead and keep outside in room temperature.
- Mix the chicken well and layer the chicken in the baking tray in single layers.
- Keep a small bowl of water along with the baking tray and bake them for 20 mins. Turn over every 5 mins for even cooking and rub the chicken with the left over marinade.
- Increase the temperature to 250° and bake for 10 more mins.
- Serve the tandoori chicken with chutney of your choice and fresh salad.
Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Please do leave your valuable feedbacks, I would love to hear from you all. Happy cooking!