Soft, spongy and delectable chocolate chunk muffins loaded with chocolate chunks. They’re so delicious that you can’t stop with just one. Enjoy these fabulous muffins with your tea/coffee or as an afternoon snack. I am sure you are going to love this recipe as much as I do.
These vanilla chocolate muffins are light and flavorful muffins loaded with plenty of chocolate chunks which takes things over the top and makes a great treat to please both kids and adults. These muffins are great for breakfast or a quick grab and on the go snack, and kids love them!
These rich chocolate chip muffins are a favorite in my comfort food list. They’re the perfect treat to whip up anytime of the day. It is a super easy and quick recipe. The batter can be mixed by hand using a hand whisk or spatula. The batter comes together in 10 minutes and get perfectly baked in 20 minutes and ready to be devour.
Your can bake these muffins lined with liners or directly on a greased muffin tray or individual muffin cups. I used my Homemade Parchment Paper Liners for baking these muffins. Do check out the DIY. I hope you like it.
LET’S TALK INGREDIENTS
The ingredients used are simple. No fancy ingredients are used to make this fabulous muffins. You only need a few basic ingredients which are readily available in most if our pantry to make this absolutely awesome vanilla chocolate chunk muffins.
● Flour – The recipe uses all purpose flour.
● Baking Powder & Baking Soda – Used both the leavening agents to give to create a significant rise.
● Salt – A dash of salt added to enhance the flavor.
● Curd/Yogurt – Another key ingredient to achieve the softness and lightness in cakes and muffins especially on eggless bakes. I have used plain thick curd aka yogurt as a substituteto egg. I recommend using fresh curd which is not very sour.
● Sugar – Used granulated sugar to sweeten these muffins.
● Oil – Sunflower oil is used in the recipe. Oil produces a moist and tender muffin.
● Milk – Milk adds plenty of moisture and lightens up the crumb. I recommend using whole milk for the extra richness.
● Vanilla Essence – For the added flavor use vanilla essence. I use vanilla in most of my cakes as it’s a versatile flavor which goes well with most things.
● Chocolate – The recipe uses dark chocolate. These wouldn’t be chocolate chunk muffins without plenty of chocolate chunks! I chopped the dark chocolate into chunks for this recipe, but you can use mini chocolate chips or regular chocolate chips as per your preference and availability.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHUNK MUFFINS?
Let’s briefly have a look on how to make these awesome muffins.
First preheat the oven and make the muffin liners and tray ready. or if not using liners, slightly greased the muffin tray with cooking spray or oil.
Make the wet ingredients by mixing the curd, sugar, milk, oil and vanilla essence in a bowl. In a separate bowl make the dry ingredients by sieving the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir them until just combined. Add in the chocolate chunk into the batter.
Pour the batter into a muffin tin and sprinkle a few chocolate chunks over the top of the muffins. Bake your muffins until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Serve once completely cooled. Enjoy!
I made a simple recipe video of this super delicious chocolate chunk muffins recipe for my readers which I have shared below. Please do watch and SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you haven’t yet. It will mean a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
CHOCOLATE CHUNK MUFFINS VIDEO TUTORIAL
VARIATIONS OF CHOCOLATE CHUNK MUFFINS
Chocolate chunk muffins is a classic recipe where a lot of variations can be added as per one’s palate preference. You can customize the muffins to your liking by adding other ingredients to the recipe.
● Chocolate – I used dark chocolate and chopped them into chunks but you can use mini chocolate chips or regular chocolate chips. You can use any type of chocolate – milk chocolate, dark chocolate or white chocolate.
● Add-ons / Mix-Ins – There are a hell lot of add-ons which we can add to the recipe. You may stir in chopped nuts of your choice, variety of dry fruits, candied fruits, toasted coconut etc. I so love the addition of a handful of butterscotch chips.
● Spice mix – Addition of spice in cakes and baked goodies is simply amazing. They add amazing flavor to the baked goods. Cinnamon and nutmeg are the common spice used in muffins and cakes.
● Fruit – Chocolate pairs beautifully with many types of fruit. You can stir in fruits like raspberries, blue berry, cranberry, cherries, diced strawberries etc.
● Topping – You may stud the muffin top with plenty of chocolate chunks. You may also sprinkle sugar on top before popping the muffins in the oven. I love to do this in muffins. It gives a coarse sugary top muffins and crunch on top.
● All purpose flour can be substituted with whole wheat flour or you can use the 50:50 ratio of all purpose to and whole wheat flour.
● Oil can be substituted with melted butter or you may use the 50:50 ratio. I have tried and it works very well. You can use salted or unsalted butter and homemade or store bought butter.
● Curd can be substituted with upto 2 eggs if you want bake with eggs. If using eggs you may opt out the baking soda.
● You can substitute refined sugar with brown sugar, cane sugar or jaggery.
● To make this vegan muffins you may use vegan milk and yogurt. Or simply use plain water instead of milk and vinegar in place of yogurt.
HOW TO STORE THESE MUFFINS?
Let the muffins cool down completely. Once they’re cooled down store them in an airtight container over the counter or refrigerate. These muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, or in the refrigerator for 5-6 days. If you choose to refrigerate your muffins I recommend heating them in the microwave for about 15 seconds before serving.
CAN WE FREEZE THESE MUFFINS?
Yes! You can freeze these muffins for upto atleast three months. To freeze muffins, let it cool down completely. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place them in a resealable bag or airtight container. For serving just take out the muffins from the freezer and thaw them in room temperature. You can also warm the muffins slightly by microwaving them on high for about 5 seconds and serve. You can also directly warm the frozen muffins; microwave at high for about 20 seconds.
You can serve these muffins as a breakfast, with morning tea or coffee. These muffins also serves great as anytime snacks, for potlucks, kids tiffin box etc. I love enjoying these muffins with a nice, warm cup of tea or coffee.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
FEW CAKE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
■ Banana Walnut Cake
■ Banana Nut Bread
■ Whole Wheat Carrot Cake
■ Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake
■ Apple Cinnamon Cake
■ Moist Orange Cake
■ Double Chocolate Coffee Cake
■ Chocolate Vanilla Cake
■ Vegan Coconut Cake
■ Banana Chocolate Cake
■ Protein Rich Nut & Seed Cake
■ Chocolate Wine Fruit Cake
■ Chocolate Ganache Cake
■ Christmas Fruit Cake
■ Banana Oats Loaf Cake
■ Muesli Banana Cake
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
This recipe makes muffins that are tender, moist, sweet and satisfying. These chocolate chunk muffins are so good you will want to come back to the recipe and make over and over again!
So do try out this absolutely delicious muffins for your family and loved ones and share your thoughts about the recipe with me here.
Let’s get started with the recipe now.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
☆ 1 cup = 240 ml
☆ 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
☆ 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Ingredients to make chocolate chunk muffins:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup curd/yogurt
½ cup sugar
¼ cup oil
½ cup milk (120 ml)
½ tsp vanilla essence
½ cup chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
Step by step pictorial instructions to make chocolate chunk muffins:
Make ready the ingredients. All ingredients should be at room temperature.
Prepare the pan and oven:
Preheat oven @180° C for 10 minutes. Line a standard muffins cup/tray with paper liners or you can lightly grease it with oil/butter.
Preparing the wet ingredients:
In a mixing bowl add the curd, sugar, oil, milk, vanilla essence. Mix well to comband allow sugar to dissolve. Your wet ingredients is ready
Preparing the dry ingredients:
In a large mixing bowl seive in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine. Your dry ingredients is ready.
Preparing the batter:
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula or hand whisk until just combined. Do not over mix the batter.
Add in the chocolate chunks and give a quick mix. Need not over mix then.
Fill in and bake:
Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared muffin cups/tray till ¾ of the muffin cup. Garnish with few chocolate as toppings or leave it as it is.
Bake them at preheated oven @180°C for 20-25 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let it cool down in the pans for about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a cooling rack and let it cool down completely.
Store it in a container only once the muffins has cool down completely.
NOTES: USEFUL TIPS AND SUBSTITUTION
● Always preheat your oven. It is very important to bake any baking goodies in preheated oven.
● For the yogurt, to make this cake vegan you can use non-dairy yogurt or 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. For the milk, you use non-dairy milk like almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk or simply use water.
● To make this cake gluten-free I recommend using a gluten-free flour or mix of gluten-free flours.
● For the flour, you may substitute whole wheat flour with the same amount of all purpose flour or 50-50 % of both. You can also use pastry flour.
● For the oil, I’ve used sunflower oil. You can use any flavorless or neutral tasting oil like vegetable oil, canola oil etc instead of sunflower oil.
● You may substitute the oil with 100 gms butter.
● You may substitute the brown sugar with refined sugar or any other healthier sweeteners like cane sugar, jaggery, coconut sugar etc.
● You can use ½ teaspoon eno instead of baking soda.
● You can also add a mixture of any dry fruits and nuts of your choice.
● All ingredients should be at room temperature.
● Sieve the flour or dry ingredients, this helps in getting a nice texture to the cake.
● Each oven reacts differently so baking time may differ since the temperature varries from oven to oven.
● Do not open the oven atleast before 15 minutes of baking and frequently opening oven to check the cake while baking is in process is not advisable.
● Be careful not to over bake the muffins. The muffins are done baking when a toothpick or skewer test past through.
● Stir the batter by gently and mix until just combined. A spoon or spatula does the work. Be careful not to over mix the batter, as that can produce tough muffins.
Well, if you make this eggless chocolate chunk muffins, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
Disclosure: At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Ossoro French Vanilla Flavour, 30 ml
Farmown Vanilla Flavour Essence 30 ml for Cake Ice Cream Cookies Sweets Baking (60 ml ( 2 Pack ))
iChef ™ – 50 Pieces Tulip Cupcake Liner Random Colorful Premium Greaseproof Cupcakes Papers
100 Pieces Paper Muffin Cup Cupcake Cases Liners Muffin Kitchen Baking Party (Random Color Will BE Deliver)
Perfect Pricee Cupcake Tray Steel 6 Slot Muffin Tray, Black
SYGA 6 Pink Cavity Rose Flowers Shape Muffins Pure Silicone Mould for Cake, Ice Cube,DIY Baking Trays
bilAnca Steel Mini 12 Cups Non-Stick Muffin Tray Mould Baking Pan (25.5 x 20 x 2 cms, Black)
Oddy Ecobake Baking & Cooking Parchment Paper 10″ X 20 Mtrs ( Oddy Uniwraps )
SMARTBUYER Polka Dots Paper Cups Standing Baking Bulk Muffin Cupcake Dessert Case Liners Kids Party (Random Colours) -Pack of 50
HOME REPUBLIC-Pack of 25 (3X3X2 INCH Size) Brownie Box Pastry Box Packaging with Clear Display Window, Donut, Mini Cup Cake, Pie Slice, Dessert Disposable Take-Out Container, Holds 1
sakoraware Plastic Measuring Spoon and Cup Set (10 pcs) Combo with Silicone Spatula and Pastry Brush Set and Stainless Steel Egg Whisker (8 Inches)
BICHI™ Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale, Kitchen Scale Digital Multipurpose, Weight Machines for Kitchen, Weight Machine, Weight Scale Kitchen, Kitchen Weight Machine, Kitchen Weighing Scale Digital
Borosil PRO 42 L OTG, with Motorised Rotisserie and Convection, 2000W, 6 Stage Heat Selection, Black
PIXEL HOME © Printed Apron with Centre Pocket 100% Cotton with Oven Mitten with Free Pot Holder – Designer Product Apron with Ties at Both End – Unisex Apron (Green Flower Print)