Eggless semolina coconut cake is a soft, moist and slightly dense cake. This egg free semolina coconut cake has a lovely aroma and taste of the coconut. It has a melt in mouth coconutty flavor which would make you love this cake even more!
If you’re looking for a simple yet absolutely delicious cake recipe which can be quickly whipped up and bake, then you’ve landed at the right place and this cake is for you! This is one of the simplest and easiest cake that one can make. This easy eggless sooji coconut cake will not disappoint you and I bet you’ll end up making it over and over again.
To me it makes the best tea time cake and perfect to pair it with some coffee or tea. But it doesn’t end up there itself. You can top it up with your choice of frosting or glaze to suit the occasion and make it as fancy as possible. Nevertheless a simple sugar syrup or glaze does wonders to this amazingly delicious rava coconut cake. Even I have cut the cake into halves and serve one part of the cake soaked in simple sugar syrup.
Semolina coconut cake aka rava coconut cake is a super easy, simple, absolutely delicious and one bowl cake recipe. It doesn’t require any fancy technique or equipment to bake this cake, hence even a novice baker can nail it.
The texture of the cake is soft and slightly dense with lovely aroma and flavor from the coconut. I especially loved the nicely brown coconut on the top of the cake. I am sure you will love it as much as we did!
This semolina coconut cake has a mild sweetness. If you are the kind of person who likes very sweet cakes, then you will have to increase the quantity of sugar by another few tablespoons.
I loved the beautiful texture of this cake. The semolina gave it a slight grainy texture, obvious as it doesn’t have any other flour added in large quantity apart from the 2 tablespoons cornstarch added to the batter. You can clearly make out from the crumbs.
My son and hubby loved the cake. The cake disappeared as soon as I served them after the cake cooled down. Infact my son was like mummy please don’t click photos today, he was not able to wait. So I had to hurry up and could able to click some.
LETS TALK INGREDIENTS
I really wanted to keep this semolina coconut cake super simple and easy for everyone, so you only need a few key ingredients here that are easily available in your pantry:
● Flour – Semolina is used to make this cake. You can use fine variety of semolina (rava/sooji)
● Cornstarch – Just 2 tablespoons of cornstarch is used which will help in softness and binding of the cake.
● Sugar – I used granulated white sugar here.
● Oil – I have used refined sunflower oil. I prefer using oil than butter for a soft and moist outcome.
● Curd/Yogurt – Hung curd (thick curd) is used here. Curd is used as an egg substitute.
● Coconut – Fresh coconut which is finely grated and air dried is used here. Your cake will come out extra rich and more flavorful.
● Milk – I have used full fat milk. Whole milk gives an extra richness, taste and texture to the cake.
● Essence – Vanilla essence is used here.
● Leavening agents – Both baking powder and baking soda is used here to give a good rise to the cake.
● Salt – A pinch of salt is used to balance out the sweetness in any dessert. You can skip this totally if you don’t want.
● You can use cake flour, all purpose flour or whole wheat flour to make this coconut cake.
● You can also use coconut sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar etc. Just keep in mind that your cake will be more tan in color!
● You can use butter or coconut oil instead of sunflower oil. Using coconut oil will give your cake a more coconut flavor and is more healthier than refined oil.
● You replace the yogurt with 2 eggs if you want to make the cake egg based. Still prefer eggless and want to replace yogurt then you can use apple sauce, buttermilk. You can also use 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice and increase the quantity of the milk.
● You can use store bought dessicated coconut.
● Instead of vanilla essence you can use coconut extract or real vanilla extract.
● Along with coconut you can add flavors like orange, lime, cocoa etc.
● You can also make orange, mango or chocolate semolina cake without the coconut.
● You can add nuts to make a nutty coconutty cake.
I made a simple recipe video of this super easy eggless semolina coconut cake recipe for my readers which I have shared below. Please do watch and SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you haven’t yet. It will mean a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
EGGLESS SEMOLINA COCONUT CAKE VIDEO TUTORIAL
HOW TO USE FRESH COCONUT IN THIS RECIPE:
To use fresh coconut in this recipe first you need to grate the coconut. You can air dry inside the house or if have access to sunlight you can sun dry them which is more faster. If you are using coconut grater you will get finely grated coconut but if you are using normal grater your coconut will not be finely grated. Finely grate the coconut. Spread them nicely and let it dry inside the house or in the sun. Drying them in the sun will take only few minutes. Once the coconut is dried, store them in airtight container in the fridge for longer days.
To use in the cake if your dried coconut is not finely grated, you can pulse them for few seconds in your mixie or blender. This will make your coconut like a store bought desiccated coconut.
HOW TO. MAKE THIS VEGAN
This is a versatile recipe and can be easily adapted as vegan cake. In place of dairy milk, you can use plant-based milk like almond milk, cashew milk, oats milk, coconut milk etc. And inplace of curd aka yogurt use 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. Only thing is you need to increase the milk quantity a little bit more to get the correct batter consistency.
HOW TO STORE THE CAKE
The cake stays good over the counter for 2-3 days. You can refrigerate the cake in an airtight container for upto one week Freezing the cake will stay for longer days.
You can serve the cake as a tea cake simply with tea or coffee.
You can soak the cake with simple sugar syrup. This is another amazing way if serving this cake.
You can even serve with simple sugar glaze.
You can make the cake more fancy by frosting it with your favourite frosting like cream cheese, whipped cream or chocolate ganache. The sky is the limit!
If you’re looking for more semolina based recipe, here’s some few recipes you might like to try
MORE EGGLESS CAKE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE TO TRY
■ Banana Walnut Cake
■ Banana Nut Bread
■ Whole Wheat Carrot Cake
■ Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake
■ Apple Cinnamon Cake
■ Moist Orange Cake
■ Double Chocolate Coffee Cake
■ Chocolate Vanilla Cake
■ Multigrain Banana Cake
■ Vegan Coconut Cake
■ Banana Chocolate Cake
■ Protein Rich Nut & Seed Cake
■ Eggless Lamingtons
■ Chocolate Ganache Cake
■ Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
■ Banana Oats Loaf Cake
■ Chocolate Sponge Cake
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
So whip up this super easy and delicious sooji coconut cake. It’s a great tea cake and can be served as a dessert that everybody can enjoy and dig into. I’m sure everyone will love it as much as we do! Do share your thoughts about the recipe with me here.
So let’s get started with the recipe. Please do read the recipe notes given below for tips and tricks to make the very best eggless semolina coconut cake.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
☆ 1 cup = 240 ml
☆ 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
☆ 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
☆ Pan size = 7″ diameter 3″ height
Ingredients to make semolina coconut cake:
1 cup fine semolina (rava/suji)
2 tablespoon cornstarch
½ cup curd/yogurt
½ cup sugar
¼ cup oil
½ cup desiccated coconut (for batter) + ¼ cup for topping
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup full fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Sugar Syrup (optional) – Make a simple syrup as required by mixing same proportion of water and sugar. Boil them together for 2-3 minutes and allow to cool down. You can add flavors like vanilla essence or cardamom powder.
Step by step pictorial instructions to make semolina coconut cake:
In a mixing bowl add in curd (yogurt), sugar and oil. Mix until well combined and smooth mixture.
Add in semolina (rava/suji) to the mixture and mix well. Let the mixture stand for 10-15 minutes.
(Please use fine variety of semolina. You can also grind them in the mixie or blender for few minutes).
Meanwhile grease the cake tin with oil and line with parchment paper. You can also grease the pan and dust with little flour.
Preheat oven @180° C for 10 minutes with both filaments.
Now add in cornstarch, desiccated coconut, baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla essence. Mix well.
Add in milk in batches and make a smooth batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap the pan for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle the reserved desiccated coconut all over on the top.
Bake at preheated oven @180° C for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. On the last 1-2 minutes of baking I turned on only the top filaments (rod) to nicely brown the desiccated coconut topping.
Remove from the oven and allow the cake to stand for about 10 minutes. Demould the cake and allow to cool down completely.
You can pour sugar syrup on the cake if you like. Cut and serve. Enjoy
I cut the cake into half. Soaked one part with sugar syrup. The cake taste absolutely delicious both ways.
● Always preheat oven before starting to bake.
● All ingredients should be at room temperature.
● Semolina can be replaced with whole wheat flour or all purpose flour or can bake with 50% of either all purpose flour or whole wheat flour.
● White sugar can be substituted with coconut sugar, brown sugar or cane sugar.
● You can increase the sugar with few tablespoons if you prefer very sweet cakes.
● You can use fresh finely grated coconut or store bought desiccated coconut.
● Oil can be substituted with butter or coconut oil.
● Use whole milk for extra richness, taste and texture.
● Yogurt can be substituted with buttermilk or Vinegar/lemon juice.
● To make with egg, use 2 eggs and omit the baking soda.
● Every oven reacts differently so baking time may vary.
● Bake with both the filaments (rods) on.
● You can soak the cake with simple sugar syrup before serving.
Eggless Semolina Coconut Cake
- Mixing bowl
- 7 inches round tin
- 1 cup semolina / sooj /rawa
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch/conflour (optional)
- ½ cup curd/yogurt
- ½ cup (100 grams) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) oil
- ½ + ¼ cup dessicated or fresh coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- In a mixing bowl add in curd (yogurt), sugar and oil. Mix until well combined and smooth mixture.
- Add in semolina (rava/suji) to the mixture and mix well. Let the mixture stand for 10-15 minutes.(Please use fine variety of semolina. You can also grind them in the mixie or blender for few minutes).
- Meanwhile grease the cake tin with oil and line with parchment paper. You can also grease the pan and dust with little flour.
- Preheat oven @180° C for 10 minutes with both filaments.
- Now add in cornstarch, desiccated coconut, baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Add in milk in batches and make a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap the pan for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle the reserved desiccated coconut all over on the top.
- Bake at preheated oven @180° C for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. On the last 1-2 minutes of baking I turned on only the top filaments (rod) to nicely brown the desiccated coconut topping
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to stand for about 10 minutes. Demould the cake and allow to cool down completely.
- You can pour sugar syrup on the cake if you like. Cut and serve. Enjoy
- I cut the cake into half. Soaked one part with sugar syrup. The cake taste absolutely delicious both ways.
- Always preheat oven before starting to bake.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Semolina can be replaced with whole wheat flour or all purpose flour or can bake with 50% of either all purpose flour or whole wheat flour.
- White sugar can be substituted with coconut sugar, brown sugar or cane sugar.
- You can increase the sugar with few tablespoons if you prefer very sweet cakes.
- You can use fresh finely grated coconut or store bought desiccated coconut.
- Oil can be substituted with butter or coconut oil.
- Use whole milk for extra richness, taste and texture.
- Yogurt can be substituted with buttermilk or Vinegar/lemon juice.
- To make with egg, use 2 eggs and omit the baking soda.
- Every oven reacts differently so baking time may vary.
- Bake with both the filaments (rods) on.
- You can soak the cake with simple sugar syrup before serving.
Well, if you make this semolina coconut cake, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Ossoro French Vanilla Flavour, 30 ml
OMORTEX Kitchen Tools Combo 8 pcs Color Measuring Cups and Spoon Set and Spatula and Brush for Kitchen
Shilpa Aluminium Round Cake Pan/Mould Bake Ware Tools-6,7,8 inches(Set of 3-0.5 kg,1 kgand1.5 kg+ Cake Base Free Inside This Pack
Bulfyss Popular Combo – Non Stick Outperform Bread Loaf, 6 Muffin & Cupcake Mould Baking Tray Tin Pan
Borosil DIGIPRO 38L, Digital OTG, with Motorised Rotisserie and Convection, 1500W, 4 Stage Heat Selection, Black
Bajaj Majesty 4500 TMCSS 45-Litre Oven Toaster Grill (Silver)
Inalsa Kratos 1000W Stand Mixer with Whisking Cone, Mixing Beater & Dough Hook, Champagne
FAIRY HOME™ Cotton Stripe Microwave Oven Mitten for Microwave – Set of 4 PCS 2Oven Gloves& 2 Pot Holders- Heat Resistant
M VILLA Colorful Plastic Mixing Bowl Set for Kitchen | Plastic Soup Bowls | Microwave Safe, Freezer Safe Great for Cooking Serving Salads, Snack, Fruits- Multicolor (750 ml, Set – 4 pcs)
BICHI Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale, Kitchen Scale Digital Multipurpose, Weight Machines for Kitchen
Craftize Mstore Decorative Colorful Rustic Wooden Serving Tray for Coffee/Tea/Drinks for Living Room/Restaurant (11.5x7x1.5 inch)
Delux Wood Carver Wood Serving Plate-Serving Platter//Chopping Board//Food Board, Burger Board//Platters Serving Set Snacks Serving Plates Wood Platter // Multipurpose Usage
T One Woods Round DIY Craft Wooden Log Natural Bark Coaster/Slices, 3 Inches Size – Set of 6