Masala crackers are baked savoury crackers spiced with aromatic masala blend. These crackers are really crunchy, crispy, so light and taste incredible. They are ridiculously easy to make and does not take much of your time to create these beautiful crispy crackers.
These delicious crackers with spiced masala are my favorite snack to serve along with your favourite drink along with a dipping sauce. I also love this crackers with my tea. They also make a perfect appetizer or a quick snack that everyone will love.
These homemade savoury crackers are so delicious. They are amazingly easy to make and turn out so good every time. The dough is super simple with quick kneading and no yeast. The baking time is quick that it gets perfectly baked under 15 minutes. So these can be really whipped up in last minute if you have some sudden or unplanned get together or party.
They are prepared with whole wheat flour, rice flour, maggi masala e magic along with few basic ingredients. They turned out amazingly delicious and super crisp. The crispness is just like the fried Indian snacks Namkee which we prepare during festivals. It’s a perfect snacks to make your tea-time delightful.
This is a super easy cracker recipe. You can engage your little ones when making the crackers and I bet, you will enjoy making it and savoring it as much as we did!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE MASALA CRACKERS
● It’s super easy and quick
● Simple ingredients with no yeast
● It’s a versatile recipe
● Can easily swap the ingredients to make variations.
● Can engage kids in the making and shaping the crackers.
● You can cut them into any shape you want.
● Stays fresh for months over the counter
● So crunchy, crispy, light, flavorful and delicious .
● Its a non-fried crackers hence guilt free.
● Gets perfectly baked under 15 minutes
LETS TALK INGREDIENTS
They’re basically made with minimum ingredients which are pantry staples. Here’s a quick sneak peek of the ingredients used to make this amazingly delicious crispy masala crackers.
● Whole wheat flour for healthier version.
● Rice flour helps in getting a nice crunch and crisp crackers.
● Maggi masala ae magic, the main ingredient of the recipe.
● Baking powder
● Butter for the dough and brushing the crackers before popping inside the oven.
● Onion & garlic powder for the elegant flavor and overall taste of the crackers
● Chilly flakes to spice up the crackers
● Sesame seeds
● Salt for seasoning
● Water for binding the dough
Making crackers at home is super easy. Once you have the basic crackers recipe and master them, you can crank it out any time and also make variations of it by just swapping few ingredients. Here’s some of the variations
Spice – Though I have used maggi masala which is a complete aromatic spice mix, you can use spice of your choice.
Herbs — You can use your favourite herb or mixed of herbs or dried oregano. Fresh or dried herbs can be used. Crackers with herbs are the simplest and most common one. You can also add fresh minced coriander leaves, mint leaves or dill leaves.
Seeds — To make a seeded version of this cracker, you can add your favourite seed or mixed of seeds to the dough and lightly sprinkle the seeds over the brushed crackers. Few seeds that could go perfectly are Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds etc
Chilly — The crackers can be spiced up with a dash of chilly. I have used chilly flakes in this recipe but you can add a dash of cayenne or minced green chilly to the dough for slightly spicy homemade crackers especially for the grown-ups.
Seasonings — To take the crackers to the next level with an elegant flavor I have used onion and garlic powder. You can use other seasoning as per your plaate preference and availability. Black pepper can also be used as a substitute or Italian seasoning.
Cheese — Cheese in crackers is very common and loved by all. Sprinkle grated cheddar or parmesan cheese in dough or even sprinkle on top for a cheesy crackers.
● You can use fresh or dried herbs of your choice or oregano instead of the maggi masala.
● Whole wheat flour can be replaced with all purpose flour and rice flour can be replaced with besan (gram flour) or oats flour.
● Yoi can use ghee (clarified butter) or oil instead of butter.
● Onion powder and garlic powder can be opt out if it is not available.
● You can also use Italian seasoning as a substitute to onion & garlic powder.
I made a simple video of masala crackers for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel. It will means a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
Masala Crackers Video Tutorial
TIPS FOR MAKING CRISPY CRACKERS:
● Make sure your dough is not too wet or dry. It should be soft and non sticky. Some flour absorb more liquid and some less, it depends upon the quality of the flour. So best thing to do while making dough is to add water gradually.
● Roll out the dough as thin as possible for a crispier crackers.
● Prick the cut-outs with forknor skewer to prevent the crackers from puffing while baking.
● Brush the crackers with butter after you place them on the baking tray before popping them inside the oven for baking. This will give the cracker beautiful golden edges and crunch.
● Rotating the tray halfway through baking allows the crackers to bake evenly and makes the crackers crisp and brown uniformly. This is done because different parts of the oven heat unevenly.
● Once the crackers are out of oven, let the crackers stand in the baking tray for few minutes, then transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool down completely. Allowing the crackers in the baking tray will make the crackers crisp up further as they cool down.
These crackers last for a long time. We only need to store them in airtight container over the counter and it will last for more than month. Storing in airtight container is important or else they’ll lose their crispness.
If the crackers gets soft, they can be crisped up by popping then in the oven for few minutes.
These homemade crackers can be served not only with tea/coffee but as a snacks or appetizer with your choice of hummus, guacamole, salsa, a cheesy dip, mayonnaise, ketchup or your favourite dip sauce, soups etc – the options are endless!
So do try the recipe and do not forget to share your thoughts about the recipe with me here.
FEW MAGGI MASALA AE MAGIC RECIPES
Here are all my Bakes & Cakes recipes if you’re craving more baking inspiration.
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
Here’s how to make crispy masala crackers.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
☆ 1 cup = 240 ml
☆ 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
☆ 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Ingredients to make masala crackers:
¾ cup whole wheat flour (atta)
¼ cup rice flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 packet maggi masala e magic (see notes)
½ tsp onion powder ( optional)
½ tsp garlic powder (optional)
1 tsp chilli flakes
2-3 tbsp white sesame seeds
¼ tsp salt (see notes)
2 tbsp butter melted or oil/ghee + 1-2 tsp extra for greasing tray and crackers
⅓ cup water (80 ml)
Step by step pictorial instructions to make masala crackers:
In a mixing bowl sieve the whole wheat flour, rice flour and baking powder.
Add in the onion powder, garlic powder, chilly flakes, sesame seeds, maggi masala e magic and salt. Mix all the ingredients together well.
Add in the melted butter. Mix well with hands until you get a crumbly mixture. Add in water gradually and continue mixing until it starts coming together. Knead the dough for about 3-5 minutes until it forms a soft smooth dough. Cover and let the dough rest for few minutes.
Meanwhile preheat oven @180° C for 10 minutes. Also grease baking tray with butter or oil. You can use parchment paper or baking mat.
Divide the dough into portions. Roll them into balls and flatten them with a rolling pin ½ cm thickness. You can roll it thicker too if you like thicker crackers.
If your oven is smaller roll and shape the crackers in batches because you won’t be able to bake all the cookies at a time. Make sure you cover the dough with damp cloth to prevent from drying out.
Using cookie cutter cut the crackers into desired shapes and prick the crackers randomly with a help of a fork or skewer. This will prevent the crackers from puffing while baking.
Using cookie cutter makes the crackers looks fancy and beautiful. If you don’t have cookie cutters, you can just use a knife and cut out square or diamond shapes or use bottle or small container cap to give round shape crackers.
Place the cut-outs onto the prepared baking tray by leaving some space in between each crackers. Lightly brush the crackers with melted butter.
Place the baking tray in the middle rack and bake at a preheated oven @180° C for 10-15 minutes. Since oven temperatures vary the baking time will vary, so keep a close watch. The baking times also depend on the thickness of your crackers. Thicker crackers may take longer to bake through.
Remove the crackers from the oven. Allow to stand in the baking tray for about 5 minutes. Transfer them to a cooling rack and let your crackers cool down completely.
Store them in airtight container.
Enjoy them with your tea/coffee or have it as a snack with your favourite dip.
● Maggi masala can be replaced with herbs. You can use dried or fresh herbs of your choice or oregano.
● Maggi masala has already salt added hence use less salt or totally skip it.
● Whole wheat flour can be replaced with all purpose flour.
● You can use besan (gram flour) or oats flour instead of rice flour.
● Ghee ( clarified butter) or oil can be used instead of butter.
● Since oven temperatures vary, baking time will way so keep a close watch.
● The baking time also depend on the thickness of your crackers. Thicker crackers may take longer to bake through.
Well, if you make this masala crackers, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
SYGA 12 Pieces Cookie Cutter Stainless Steel Cookie Cutter with Different Shape
Maggi Masala-ae-Magic, (20 Sachets) | All in One Masala for Dry Vegetables, Paneer, Dal & More Pouch, 120 g
GreenFinity Pizza Seasoning Combo, Pizza Spice Mix 50g + Roasted Chilli Flakes, 35g + Oregano Flakes, 30g | All Premium.
OMORTEX Kitchen Tools Combo 8 pcs Color Measuring Cups and Spoon Set and Spatula and Brush for Kitchen
Grizzly Rectangle Nonstick Wire Cooling Rack Baking Tools (Black)
Combo of Plastic Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl with Stainless Steel Whisker Egg Beater Latte Maker for Baking, Mixing, Whisking, Beating, Stirring & Blending by Homeleven
Oddy Ecobake Baking & Cooking Parchment Paper 10″ X 20 Mtrs ( Oddy Uniwraps )
QOAL Fondant Rolling Mat Silicone Baking Mat Sheet Chapati Mat Atta Kneading Mat, Stretchable for Kitchen Roti Chapati Cake, 50x40cm, Multicolour
Borosil DIGIPRO 38L, Digital OTG, with Motorised Rotisserie and Convection, 1500W, 4 Stage Heat Selection, Black
FAIRY HOME™ Plain Cotton Oven Mitten for Microwave – Set of 4 PCS 2 Oven Gloves & 2 Pot Holders- Heat Resistant (Green)