Today I am sharing a fish dish from my cuisine i.e. Naga Cuisine. Fish With Bamboo Shoots is a zero oil dish. Nagaland is famous for zero oil dishes. We mostly consumed boiled dishes like boiled veggies, fish, meat etc.
Boiled fish with fermented bamboo shoots is one of the most popular delicacy of the Nagas. You will find it in every Naga household or if you are a guest at a Naga home you will be served with it.
It is an exotic dish, easy to make and taste divine. We require only few ingredients to make this like green chillies, ginger, garlic, fermented bamboo shoots and optional ingredients are tomatoes and coriander leaves. It is best to make this dish with fermented bamboo shoots which is traditional.
So next time you wanna make a fish dish you can try this delicious, healthy and nutritious recipe. If you can’t source or don’t like the bamboo shoots taste please substitute it with tomatoes.
I hope you like the recipe, Please do leave a feedback I would love to have your feedback.
Happy Cooking 😀
- Preparation time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 20 mins
- Serves : 3-4
- Fish – 500 gms
- Green chillies – 8-10 ( I used large size chillies, plus minus as per your heat preference)
- Garlic – 8-10 cloves
- Ginger – 2 inches roughly chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 roughly chopped
- Bamboo Shoots – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- A handful of chopped coriander leaves
Take the green chillies, ginger and garlic in a blender and blend them into a coarse mixture. You can even use a mortar and pestle to do it.
Now add required water covering the fish completely. Cover the pan and bring to boil. Before the water evaporates completely check the salt and add if required at this point of time. Do not stir the fish.
- I have used Rohu Fish, you can use any other fish of your choice.
- Tomatoes is optional if using bamboo shoots.
- Bamboo Shoots is not easily available but you can try it with tomatoes.