Banana Chocolate Chip Mug Cake is a super soft and moist cake with amazing banana flavor loaded with chocolate chips. Easy homemade Banana cake with chocolate chips recipe is not only the best way to use up over-ripe bananas, but it’s possibly the best slice to go with your morning coffee! Every bite is pure heaven, I bet you will have a hard time stopping at just one slice!
This banana chocolate chip cake is insanely good and so easy to make! It’s a super soft and moist tea or snacking cake that’s really rich, flavorful and chocolatey. This chocolate chip banana cake is a favourite and regular at home. It’s super quick recipe. The batter is whipped up under 15 minutes and gets perfect baked under 30 minutes, and you only need one bowl to make it!
This banana chocolate chip cake is a real treat for tea cake lovers. It can also be served as a dessert with chocolate sauce, whipped cream or ganache toppings. Chocolate and banana is a match made in heaven!
The aroma that lingers in your kitchen is incredible and your home smells heavenly just like a bakery. The magic to this flavorful cake is the overripe bananas. At home I purposely let the banana get overripped whenever I planned to make anything with bananas.
Pair a warm slice with a mug of your evening coffee or tea. This is an excellent breakfast cake too, a slice with your morning tea or coffee and your morning is made. Nevertheless it also works as a dessert with the chocolate overloaded!
THIS BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE IS PERFECT FOR
– kids tiffin box
– after school snack
– tea cake
WHY USE OVERRIPE BANANA?
It is always recommended to use overripe bananas for making cakes, bread, cookies etc. To make the very best banana cake which is moist, soft and flavorful, it is important to let the banana overripe before you start out with any recipe specially in baking. The riper the bananas, the more moist your bakes will be and the more banana flavor it will have! The outcome of your bakes will be tender and packed with full of flavor.
LET’S TALK INGREDIENTS
It is a very classic banana chocolate chip cake recipe. It uses ingredients most commonly found in our pantries which we regularly use in baking. Let’s go through briefly the ingredients that goes inside the cake.
● Whole Wheat Flour – For a healthier version used whole wheat flour.
● Banana – Used overriped bananas. Overriped bananas are best for baking cakes, cookies or bread.
● Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet standard sized chocolate chips is used.
● Brown Sugar – Brown sugar yields soft and moist bread or cakes. It adds incredible flavor and texture to the cake. It’s a healthier option too.
● Milk – Used whole milk. Recommend to use whole milk for extra richness, taste and texture.
● Oil – I have used sunflower oil. You can use any flavorless oil. I prefer using oil than butter for a soft and moist outcome.
● Leavening agents – Both baking powder & baking soda is used in the recipe to give it the perfect amount of lift.
● Vinegar – Vinegar plays a huge role in rising. The reaction of vinegar with the baking soda release carbon dioxide, which helps cakes and breads rise as they bake.
● French Vanilla Essence – This is amazing flavor from Ossoro. You need to try this one. I’ll add a link below from where you can buy, if you buy from one of our links, we may earn a commission.
● Salt – A dash of salt is always good in baked goodies. The salt helps to balance out the sweetness too.
HOW TO MASH BANANA?
The easiest and fuss-free way to mash banana is using a bowl and a fork. Just peel the bananas, add them in a bowl and mash it with a fork. You can directly mash the banana in the mixing bowl and follow the recipe process. You can also grind it or blend it using blender or food processor. But this creates an extra work of washing this equipments after use. It is not necessary to mash the bananas completely smooth, it is okay to have some chunky banana. Some texture is good in banana cakes and breads! But if you like it completely smooth then use mixie or food processor.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUG CAKE
This is the easiest banana chocolate chip cake recipe without using stand mixer or any fancy equipments. We make the batter using one bowl and a spatula. Do watch the video tutorial below on how to make this soft and moist banana chocolate chip mug cake. You will be surprised to see how easy it is to make at the comfort of your home.
● Peel the bananas and mash them using a fork.
● In the mixing bowl mix together mash banana, sugar, oil, essence, milk and vinegar.
● Sift together dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda into the wet ingredients and make a lumps free batter.
● Stir in flour coated chocolate chips and give a quick mix.
● Pour the batter into greased mug.
● Top up with chocolate chips and bake.
You can use this batter and bake at any shape pan or use muffins tray or cupcakes too.
To make muffins, line a muffin tin with paper liners or just grease it with oil or butter and fill each cup to roughly ¾ of the cupcakes, and bake for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
I made a simple recipe video of incredibly soft and moist banana chocolate chip cake for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you haven’t yet. It will mean a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE VIDEO TUTORIAL
VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS IN BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE
● You can make chocolate banana cake by adding cocoa powder and melted chocolate.
● If you want more nutty taste and texture, add the nut of your choice in the batter once the batter is ready. Lightly coat the nuts with flour and just throw in along with the chocolate chips and give a quick gentle mix.
● Use nut of your choice like pecans, walnuts, almonds, cashewnuts etc. You can also use mixed nuts as per your palate preference.
● You may also replace the chocolate chips with mix nuts to make it banana nut cake.
● You can also make a simple banana cake by just omitting the chocolate chips.
● Whole wheat flour can be substituted with all purpose flour (maida) or you can use 50-50 of both.
● You can use white sugar instead of brown sugar.
● You may also use other healthier sweeteners are jaggery or cane sugar.
● You may use butter instead of oil or any flavorless oil will work.
● To make it vegan use dairy free milk like almond milk or just even water for the liquid.
● You may make this cake with egg. Use 2 eggs and omit the baking soda and vinegar from the recipe.
● French vanilla essence can be substituted with regular vanilla essence or extract.
THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIPS FOR BAKING?
We could recommend to use semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips since the cake has overripe bananas which will also give natural sweetness to the cake. Milk chocolate has more sweetness which will give the cake more sweetness. But it really depends on your palate preference. You can also use bittersweet chocolate chips if you love it.
We used standard-sized baking chocolate chips but mini chocolate chips also work great. Would advise not to use bigger sized chocolate chips as it has chances of sinking down at the bottom. You can use upto ½ cup walnutschocolate chips for this recipe, again it depends upon how sweet your like your cake.
MORE BANANA RECIPES TO EXPLORE:
Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Cake
Banana Nut Bread
Banana Oats Loaf Cake
Multigrain Banana Cake
Banana Chocolate Cake
Muesli Banana Cake
Banana Cranberry Oats Cake
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chocolate Banana Muffins
Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
Here are all my Bakes & Cakes recipes if you’re craving more baking inspiration.
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
Try out this incredibly soft and moist banana chocolate chip cake which is super easy and quick to make and fabulous in taste. I’m sure everyone will love it as much as we do! Do share your thoughts about the recipe with me here.
So let’s get started with the recipe.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yields: 4 mugs
1 cup = 240 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
☆ The mug used for baking this cake is 240 ml capacity mug.
Ingredients to make whole wheat banana chocolate chip cake:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 large banana ( ½ cup mashed banana)
½ cup brown sugar or refined sugar
½ cup oil
½ teaspoon ossoro french vanilla or any vanilla essence
100 ml whole milk
½ tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
¼ cup chocolate chips
Step by step pictorial instructions to make whole wheat banana chocolate chip mug cake:
Preheat oven @180° C for 10 minutes. Grease the mug with oil and keep aside.
Peel the banana and mash them until smooth with a help of a fork.
In a large mixing bowl add in the sugar, mashed banana, oil and vanilla essence. Stir the mixture until well combined.
Add in the milk, vinegar and stir to combine.
Sieve in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and gently fold to make a smooth batter.
Take the chocolate chips and coat them wih ½ tsp flour.
Stir in the chocolate chips reserving some.for topping and give a quick gentle mix.
Pour the batter equally into the greased mug. Tap the mug for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles inside. Garnish with chocolate chips.
Bake the cake at a preheated oven @180° C for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
Demould the cake and allow to cool down completely.
Enjoy with tea and coffee or a dessert with chocolate sauce or wih your favourite frosting topping.
● Always preheat oven before starting to bake.
● All ingredients should be at room temperature.
● Whole wheat flour can be substituted with all purpose flour or can bake with 50-50 of both.
● Brown sugar can be substituted with regular refined sugar.
● Try using overripe bananas.
● You can add nuts of your choice too.
● Oil can be substituted with butter.
● Use whole milk for extra richness, taste and texture.
● Vinegar can be substituted with lemon juice.
● Other healthier sweeteners like jaggery or cane sugar can be used.
● Every oven reacts differently so baking time may vary.
● Bake with both the filaments (rods) on.
● If you wish to bake with eggs, use 2 eggs and omit the baking soda and vinegar.
Well, if you make this banana chocolate chip cake, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Being Marwari Premium Dark Chocolate Chips (Choco Chips), 400g
Ossoro French Vanilla Flavour, 30 ml
Dynore Stainless Steel Set of 4 Measuring Cup and 4 Measuring Spoon
ZAKI Aluminium Baking Round Cake Pan/Mould – 6″ Diameter x 3″ Height for Microwave Oven
SYGA 1 Piece Heavy Duty Carbon Steel Rectangular Bread Loaf Cake Mould Pan Tray for Baking Non Sticky Tin Teflon Coating-25.5 cm * 13cm * 6cm
Kitchenette Baking and Cooking || Parchment Paper – 20 Meters X 11 inch || Food Grade || Non Stick || Fat Free Cooking ||
BICHI™ Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale, Kitchen Scale Digital Multipurpose, Weight Machines for Kitchen, Weight Machine, Weight Scale Kitchen, Kitchen Weight Machine, Kitchen Weighing Scale Digital
Philips HR3705/10 300-Watt Hand Mixer
Bajaj Majesty 4500 TMCSS 45-Litre Oven Toaster Grill (Silver)
Borosil DIGIPRO 38L, Digital OTG, with Motorised Rotisserie and Convection, 1500W, 4 Stage Heat Selection, Black
Unifox Stainless Steel Mixing & Serving Bowls (Set of 3 Pieces) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set- Nesting Bowl for Space Serving Storage, Easy to Clean Ideal for Baking, Cooking & Prepping
All Time – 404755-1 Plastics Classic Mixing Bowl Set, 7 Litre, 3-Pieces, Multicolour