Healthy Muffins With Watermelon
Watermelon muffins with fresh watermelon are the perfect summer dish which is great to serve as a snack, for tiffin box or have it with your morning or evening tea or coffee.
These delicious, soft and moist muffins are sure to be a hit for your kids and even adult will enjoy it as much as the kids.
We’ve been cooking and baking more since we’re spending a lot of time at home now. This has been a great way to spend quality time together. Well, my experiment with food continues and this time it is fresh watermelon in my bakes.
Yes! It is watermelon muffins which is eggless and made with whole wheat flour and cane sugar as sweetner. I experimented and it worked! My kiddo is a picky eater but with the first small bite itself he loved it and finished off couple of muffins.
These muffins are made with regular pantry staples that most pantry already have like flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, essence and chocolate chips.
Since watermelon is in season and I had a whole watermelon in my fridge I decided to experiment something with fresh watermelon. I thought it’s a great idea to make something that reminded of summer since the whether is warm and the heat is scorching higher.
These whole wheat fresh watermelon muffins are something to die for. The combination of sweetness from the chocolate and watermelon worked really well. Watermelons adds colour, freshness and sweetness to the muffins.
This is a healthier recipe. I have used whole wheat flour instead of refined flour, fresh watermelon which adds to most of the sweetness in the muffis and cane sugar to add in sweetness to the muffins.
LET’S TALK INGREDIENTS
This super easy and refreshing watermelon muffins uses ingredients most commonly found in our kitchen pantry which we regularly use in baking. Let’s go through briefly the ingredients that goes inside the muffins.
● Whole Wheat Flour – For a healthier version used whole wheat flour.
● Watermelon – Used fresh sweet watermelon. Riped watermelon are best for this recipe which adds sweetness, freshness and colour.
● Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet standard sized chocolate chips is used.
● Cane Sugar – Cane sugar yields soft muffins and adds incredible flavor and texture to the muffins. It’s a healthier option too.
● Milk – Used whole milk. Recommend to use whole milk for extra richness, taste and texture.
● Oil – I have used sunflower oil. You can use any flavorless oil. I prefer using oil than butter for a soft and moist outcome.
● Leavening agents – Both baking powder & baking soda is used in the recipe to give it the perfect amount of lift.
● Vinegar – Vinegar plays a huge role in rising. The reaction of vinegar with the baking soda release carbon dioxide, which helps the cake rise as they bake.
● French Vanilla Essence – This is amazing flavor from Ossoro. You need to try this one. I’ll add a link below from where you can buy, if you buy from one of our links, we may earn a commission.
● Salt – A dash of salt is always good in baked goodies. The salt helps to balance out the sweetness too.
HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON MUFFINS
This is a easiest muffin recipe without using stand mixer or any fancy equipments. We make the batter using one bowl and a spatula. We would just need a mixie or blender to make the watermelon pulp or puree. Do watch the video tutorial below on how to make this soft, spongy and moist watermelon muffins. You will be surprised to see how easy it is to make at the comfort of your home.
● Deseed the watermelon and chopped them into pieces. Blend them into a pulp using a mixie or blender.
● In the mixing bowl mix together watermelon pulp, cane sugar, oil, essence, milk and vinegar.
● Sift together dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda into the wet ingredients and make a lumps free batter.
● Stir in flour coated chocolate chips and give a quick mix.
● Pour the batter into lined muffin tray.
● Top up with chocolate chips and bake.You can use this batter to bake tea cake or layer cake in any shape pan.
This recipe can be used to make cupcakes too. You can frost it with your favourite frostings like whipping cream, cream cheese, butter cream or chocolate ganache.
To make tea cake or layer cake, line a cake tin with parchment paper or just grease it with oil or butter. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
I made a simple recipe video of incredibly soft and moist watermelon muffins for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you haven’t yet. It will mean a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
WATERMELON MUFFINS VIDEO TUTORIAL
● The other way to use watermelon in this recipe is – In a pan add the watermelon peices and cook over low-medium heat till the moisture is absorb completely and watermelon peices turns soft. Grind or blend them into a puree and use. You need to either increase the watermelon peices or use the same amount as mentioned in the recipe and increase the milk in the recipe to adjust the batter consistency. I would suggest to use 2-2½ cup watermelon peices if using this method, that would add more watermelon flavor to the muffins.
● If you want more nutty taste and texture, add nut sof your choice in the batter once the batter is ready. Lightly coat the nuts with flour and just throw in along with the chocolate chips and give a quick gentle mix.
● You can either use nuts or chocolate chips or a mixture of both.
● Use nut of your choice like pecans, walnuts, almonds, cashewnuts etc. You can also use mixed nuts as per your palate preference.
● You can also make a simple watermelon muffins by just omitting the chocolate chips.
● Whole wheat flour can be substituted with all purpose flour (maida) or you can use 50-50 of both.
● You can use white sugar, brown sugar or jaggery instead of cane sugar.
● You may use butter instead of oil or any flavorless oil will work.
● To make it vegan use dairy free milk like almond milk or just water. You can also omit the milk and completely use watermelon puree or juice.
● You may make this cake with egg. Use 2 eggs and omit the milk, baking soda and vinegar from the recipe.
● French vanilla essence can be substituted with regular vanilla essence or extract.
MAKE IT VEGAN
This cake is easily adapted to vegan. Simply omit the milk and replace the milk with watermelon pulp or juice.
FEW MUFFINS, CUPCAKES AND MUG CAKE YOU WOULD LOVE
● Banana Chocolate Chips Mug Cake
● Choco Lava Mug Cake
● Eggless Vanilla Muffins
● Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
● Double Chocolate Muffins
● Chocolate Banana Muffins
● Chocolate Chunk Muffins
● Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes
Here are all my Bakes & Cakes recipes if you’re craving more baking inspiration.All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
Hope you are excited to try this recipe. Please do share your thoughts about the recipe with me here, I would love to read it.Let’s get started with the recipe. Please watch he video tutorial and also read the recipe notes given below.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
1 cup = 240 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Ingredients to make watermelon muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1½ cup watermelon chopped
50 ml whole milk
1 tbsp vinegar
¼ cup (60 ml) oil
⅓ cup (80 ml) cane sugar/white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup chocolate chips + 2 tbsp for topping
½ tsp vanilla essence
Step by step pictorial instructions to make watermelon muffins:
Preheat oven at 180° C for 10 minutes. Line the muffin tray with liners or simply grease it with oil or butter.
In a bowl add the chopped watermelon and blend it until pulpy. You can use a mixie but we dont want to blend the watermelon completely. Keep it pulpy.
Add sugar, oil, milk, vinegar and mix until well combined.
Sieve in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt into the wet ingredients. Fold the mixture and make a batter.
Coat the chocolate chips in little flour. Stir in the chocolate chips into the batter and give a quick gentle mix.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tray till ¾th of the cavity. Tap the muffin tray for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles inside. Garnish with some chocolate chips.
Bake the muffins at preheated oven @180° C for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool down completely and serve. Enjoy!
● Always preheat oven before starting to bake.
● All ingredients should be at room temperature.
● Always sieve the flour atleast twice.
● Whole wheat flour can be substituted with all purpose flour or can bake with 50-50 of both.
● Cane sugar can be substituted with regular refined sugar, jaggery or brown sugar. You can increase the sugar to ½ cup if your watermelon is very sweet.
● Try using riped sweet watermelon.
● You can add nuts of your choice too.
● Oil can be substituted with butter.
● Use whole milk for extra richness, taste and texture.
● Vinegar can be substituted with lemon juice.
● To make with egg, use 2 eggs and omit the milk, baking soda and vinegar.
● Every oven reacts differently so baking time may vary.
● Bake with both the filaments (rods) on.
● You can make plain watermelon muffins by omitting the chocolate chips.
● You can make tea cake, layer cake or cupcakes with this recipe and frost it with your favourite frosting like whipped cream, cream cheese, butter cream or chocolate ganache.
- 240 ml measuring cup set
- Mixing bowl
- hand blender
- muffin tray
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cup watermelon
- 50 ml whiole milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (15 ml)
- ¼ cup oil (60 ml)
- ⅓-½ cup cane sugar or regular sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips + 2 tablespoon for topping
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven at 180° C for 10 minutes. Line the muffin tray with liners or simply grease it with oil or butter.
- In a bowl add the chopped watermelon and blend it until pulpy. You can use a mixie but we dont want to blend the watermelon completely. Keep it pulpy.
- Add sugar, oil, milk, vinegar and mix until well combined.
- Sieve in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt into the wet ingredients. Fold the mixture and make a batter.
- Coat the chocolate chips in little flour. Stir in the chocolate chips into the batter and give a quick gentle mix.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tray till ¾th of the cavity. Tap the muffin tray for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles inside. Garnish with some chocolate chips.
- Bake the muffins at preheated oven @180° C for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool down completely and serve. Enjoy!
- Always preheat oven before starting to bake.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Always sieve the flour atleast twice.
- Whole wheat flour can be substituted with all purpose flour or can bake with 50-50 of both.
- Cane sugar can be substituted with regular refined sugar, jaggery or brown sugar. You can increase the sugar to ½ cup if your watermelon is very sweet.
- Try using riped sweet watermelon.
- You can add nuts of your choice too.
- Oil can be substituted with butter.
- Use whole milk for extra richness, taste and texture.
- Vinegar can be substituted with lemon juice.
- To make with egg, use 2 eggs and omit the milk, baking soda and vinegar.
- Every oven reacts differently so baking time may vary.
- Bake with both the filaments (rods) on.
- You can make plain watermelon muffins by omitting the chocolate chips.
- You can make tea cake, layer cake or cupcakes with this recipe and frost it with your favourite frosting like whipped cream, cream cheese, butter cream or chocolate ganache.
Well, if you make this watermelon muffins, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Curated Cart Premium 6 Cup Muffin Tray with 100 Muffin Liners, Baking Mould Made of Carbon Steel (Black) can be Used in Microwave or OTG, Easy to CleanBulfyss Small Mini Outperform Aluminium Nonstick 12-Slot Cup Midi Shape Muffin, Cupcake Mould (Small Size)Arabs Reusable Silicone 12 Pieces Round Moulds for Muffins/Cupcake/Jelly/CakeOssoro French Vanilla Flavour, 30 mlOrganic Nature Premium Dark Chocolate Chips (Chocochips) (for Baking and Garnishing Cakes ,Cookies) (200 Gram)OMORTEX Women’s First Choice 10 Pcs Color Measuring Cups and Spoon SetBorosil DIGIPRO 38L, Digital OTG, with Motorised Rotisserie and Convection, 1500W, 4 Stage Heat Selection, Black(Renewed) Bajaj Majesty 4500 Tmcss 45-litre Oven Toaster Grill (Silver)Pixel Home Micro Check Cotton Oven Mitten with Pot Holder (Red & Black)Combo of Plastic Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl with Stainless Steel Whisker Egg Beater Latte Maker for Baking, Mixing, Whisking, Beating, Stirring & Blending by HomelevenRoyals® Nonstick Wire Cookie Cooling Rack for Baking Oven Safe SteelBICHI Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale, Kitchen Scale Digital Multipurpose, Weight Machines for Kitchen, Weight Machine, Weight Scale Kitchen, Kitchen Weight Machine, Kitchen Weighing Scale Digital SF 400Orpat HHB-100E WOB 250-Watt Hand Blender (White)