Wishing everyone reading this blog a Merry Christmas 😀
This non-alcoholic fruit cake recipe is super easy and taste divine. I am always fond of plum cakes and today I have tried to baked a non-alchoholic version of fruit cake and the outcome was amazing.
This rich orange juice soaked dried fruits cake is absolutely moist and flavorful. My kitchen was filled with aroma while baking this non-alcoholic fruit cake.
The aroma of the cake filled my house with all the warm spices. The cake was super soft, moist and aromatic.
Fruit cakes are made with dried fruits/candied fruits, soaked in alcohol with nuts and spices. The longer the soaking the tastier is the cake. What makes a well balanced christmas cake is the sweetness of the dry fruits, sourness from the alchohol/liquid juice, crunchiness of the nuts and the flavors of the spices.
If you are looking for alcoholic version Rum Fruit And Nut Cake is an Eggless Christmas Cake for those who are vegetarian and those alergic to eggs. Super simple and easy to make and taste delicious. This cake is made using rum soaked dry fruits.
Soaking fruits for Christmas cake is the first step to make the traditional and authentic rich christmas fruit cake. Soaking fruits adds an amazing flavor, richness and moisture to the fruit cake. I have soaked the dry fruits in orange juice for 3 days and stored in the refrigerator. It is advisable to keep the soaked dried fruits in fridge if you’re soaking the dried fruits in fruit juice.
For a non-alcoholic christmas cake, soak the dried fruits in orange juice, grape juice or can use even mixed fruit juice and store it in the refrigerator. Soak the dried fruits only a week before you are ready to bake the cake.
Add the chopped nuts just few hours ahead of baking to maintain the crunchiness of the nuts. You can avoid the soaking part if you are running short of time.
To get a beautiful colour of the cake you can caramelize the sugar and add which will give a beautiful colour to your cake.
LOOKING FOR MORE EGGLESS CAKE RECIPES?
Berry Jam Cake
Eggless Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Chocolate Sponge Cake
Whole Wheat Carrot Cake
Chocolate Cake With Ganache Frosting
Banana Walnut Cake
Banana Chocolate Cake
Glazed Orange Bundt Cake
Gluten Free Vanilla Cake
Malai Cake / Fresh Cream Cake
Fruit And Nut Cake
Whole Wheat Orange Cake
Here are all my Bakes & Cakes recipes if you’re craving more baking inspiration.
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
Now let’s jump to the recipe.
- Preparation time : 20 mins
- Cooking time : 40-45 mins
- Serves – 6
1 cup = 240 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Cake tin size = 6.5″ or 7″
Ingredients for soaking:
- Fresh orange juice – 1 cup +extra for feeding while soaking
- Dry fruits – 1 cup chopped (Raisin, black raisin, dates, figs, dried Cranberries, Tutti Fruitti)
- Orange zest – 1 tsp
For the cake :
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Curd/Yogurt – 2 tbsps
- Butter – 100 gms melted or ½ cup Oil
- Baking Soda – ½ tsp
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Nuts – ½ cup chopped (pistachios, walnut, cashewnuts, almonds)
- Orange juice – ½ cup
- Spice powder – 1 tsp (cinnamon, cardamom, star anise and cloves)
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
- In a glass jar soak the dry fruits. Make sure the fruits are well immersed in the juice. (I kept for 3 days in fridge)
- Add the chopped nuts to the soaked fruit jar just few hours ahead of baking and mix well.
- Grease a cake pan and preheat the oven @180° for 10 mins.
- In a mixing bowl add the curd and baking soda, mix well and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, spice powder, mix well and keep aside.
- In a sauce pan add the sugar and heat till it starts to melt and get a nice brown colour but do not over caramalised the sugar. Turn off and add 1-2 tbsps water and stir well and let it cool down.
- In the curd mixture add the butter and mix till smooth.
- Add vanilla essence, orange juice, caramalised sugar and mix.
- Add the flour mixture and gently fold to make a smooth batter.
- Add the soaked dry fruits and nuts to the batter and gently fold. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and tap the cake pan 2-3 times.
- Garnish with soaked fruits and nuts. This is optional.
- Bake for 40-45 mins. A tooth pick inserted should come out clean.
- Remove from oven, let it cool down, invert, cut and serve.
● For a non-alcoholic christmas cake, soak the dried fruits in orange juice, grape juice or can use even mixed fruit juice and store it in the refrigerator. Soak the dried fruits only a week before you are ready to bake the cake.
● You can use the dried fruits as per your choice and palate preference.
● You may use your favourite alcohol for soaking the dried fruits.
● You can also use candied peels and candied fruits in christmas cake.
● For alcoholic version soaking the dried fruits in alcohol for a minimum 2-3 months is recommended for a rich christmas cake.
● Every oven reacts differently so baking time may vary.
● Switch on both the filaments (rods) while preheating and baking.
● If you wish to bake with eggs, use 2 eggs and omit the baking soda and curd (yogurt).
● You can use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour.
Well, if you make this non-alcoholic fruit cake, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Shilpa Aluminium Round Cake Pan/Mould Bake Ware Tools-6,7,8 inches(Set of 3-0.5 kg,1 kgand1.5 kg+ Cake Base Free Inside This Pack
Ossoro French Vanilla Flavour, 30 ml
Farmown Vanilla Flavour Essence for Cake Ice Cream Cookies Sweets Baking (60 ml ( 2 Pack ))
iChef ™ – Plastic Non Stick Microwave and Oven Proof Baking Parchment Paper(10m X 300 mm, Multicolour)
Nutty Gritties Sports Mix – Roasted Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios, Dried Blueberries, Cranberries and Raisins – 350 GMS
sakoraware Plastic Measuring Spoon and Cup Set (10 pcs) Combo with Silicone Spatula and Pastry Brush Set and Stainless Steel Egg Whisker (8 Inches)
BICHI® Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale, Kitchen Scale Digital Multipurpose, Weight Machines for Kitchen, Weight Machine, Weight Scale Kitchen, Kitchen Weight Machine, Kitchen Weighing Scale Digital SF 400
HOME COLORS.IN Microwave Oven Mitten for Microwave – Set of 2 Pcs Oven Glove – Medium Heat Support – Orange
Borosil DIGIPRO 38L, Digital OTG, with Motorised Rotisserie and Convection, 1500W, 4 Stage Heat Selection, Black