Wishing everyone reading this blog a Merry Christmas 😀
This non-alchoholic fruit cake recipe is super easy and taste divine. I am always fond of plum cakes and today I have tried to baked a non-alchoholic version of fruit cake and the outcome was amazing. The aroma of the cake filled my house while I was baking the cake. The cake was super soft, moist and spongy.
Fruit cakes are made with dry fruits/candied fruits, soaked in alchohol with nuts and spices. The longer the soaking the tastier is the cake. What makes a well balanced Christmas cake is the sweetness of the dry fruits, sourness from the alchohol/liquid juice, crunchiness of the nuts and the flavors of the spices. I have soaked the dry fruits in orange juice for 3 days. And add the chopped nuts just few hours ahead of baking to maintain the crunchiness of the nuts. You can avoid the soaking part if you are running short of time.
To get a beautiful colour of the cake you can caramelize the sugar and add which will give a beautiful colour to your cake.
So lets hear the recipe.
- Preparation time : 20 mins
- Cooking time : 40-45 mins
- Serves – 6
Ingredients for soaking:
- Fresh orange juice – 1 cup +extra for feeding while soaking
- Dry fruits – 1 cup chopped (Raisin, black raisin, dates, figs, dried Cranberries, Tutti Fruitti)
- Orange zest – 1 tsp
For the cake :
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Curd – 2 tbsps
- Butter – 100 gms room temperature
- Baking Soda – ½ tsp
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Nuts – ½ cup chopped (pistachios, walnut, cashewnuts, almonds)
- Orange juice – ½ cup
- Spice powder – 1 tsp (cinnamon, cardamom, star anise and cloves)
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
- In a glass jar soak the dry fruits. Make sure the fruits are well immersed in the juice. (I Kept for 3 days)
- Add the chopped nuts to the soaked fruit jar just few hours ahead of baking and mix well.
- Grease a cake pan and preheat the oven @180° for 10 mins.
- In a mixing bowl add the curd and baking soda, mix well and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, spice powder, mix well and keep aside.
- In a sauce pan add the sugar and heat till it starts to melt and get a nice brown colour but do not over caramalised the sugar. Turn off and add 1-2 tbsps water and stir well and let it cool down.
- In the curd mixture add the butter and mix till smooth.
- Add vanilla essence, orange juice, caramalised sugar and mix.
- Add the flour mixture and gently fold to make a smooth batter.
- Add the soaked dry fruits and nuts to the batter and gently fold. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and tap the cake pan 2-3 times.
- Garnish with soaked fruits and nuts. This is optional.
- Bake for 40-45 mins. A tooth pick inserted should come out clean.
- Remove from oven, let it cool down, invert, cut and serve.
Thank you for stopping by my blog. Do leave your valuable feedbacks, I would love to hear from you all.