First of all wishing everyone reading this blog a Merry Christmas And A Happy New Year.
Christmas is just around the corner and I am feeling nostalgic. Going down the memory lane, today I am sharing a childhood memory snack Namkee recipe. When it comes to Christmas And New Year, this is the time of the year we prepare lots of snacks, cakes and meat preparations. And this Crispy Namkee recipe is one of them. We prepare this in large quantities and distribute with neighbours, close friends and relatives. This is an easy recipe with just 6 basic ingredients. The Namkee is super crispy, so delicious and a perfect tea time snacks. And the best thing is you can prepare it in large quantities and can store for couple of weeks or upto a month.
This Namkee is similar to namak paare/sakar paare. But this Namkee is thinnier and very crispy. Here in this recipe the dough is made of flour, baking powder, milk, sugar and rolled them into very thin pooris and cut into shapes and deep fried in oil to perfection. I have used kalonji in the dough. You can replace it with black sesame seeds too.So lets hear the detailed recipe.
- Preparation time : 30 mins
- Cooking time : 30 mins
- Serves : 6 nos
- All Purpose Flour – 1½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Kalonji /Nigella seeds – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 3 tbsps or increase as per your taste
- Milk – ½ cup plus few tbsps extra
- Oil – 2 tbsps plus for frying the namkee
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, kalonji, baking powder and mix well.
- Dissolve the sugar in milk and keep aside.
- Add 2 tbsps oil and rub it well with the flour mixture to get a crumble texture.
- Add milk little at a time and knead the dough. The dough should be soft and firm.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for sometime. This step is optional.
- Knead the dough again. Take a medium size dough and roll it between your palms and slightly flatten it.
- With a rolling pin, roll it into a thin poori and cut them in desired shape.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- When the oil is hot reduce the heat and first drop few Namkee and fry them for few mins. Remove them.
- Now drop the Namkees in batches and fry them in medium heat till golden and crisp. Do not over crowd them while frying.
- This Namkees can be store for couple of weeks or upto a month.