Dry fruit and nut stuffed ladoos made with black rice. This nutritious ladoo is not only healthier and delicious but a treat to the eyes as well. ‘Black is beautiful’.
A healthier and nutritious ladoo made with black rice and stuffed with dry fruits, nuts and grated coconut. A super delicious sweet treat for your loved one anytime of the year. This also serves as a great sweet treat during festive seasons.
This is a great recipe that is not delicious and irresistible but also super healthy and nutritious. It’s a nutrients rich ladoo not only from the black rice but from the nuts as well. It’s the perfect snacks for the evening, morning or even pre-workout sessions. An ideal nutritional snack for children and the entire family.
ABOUT BLACK RICE
The black used in this recipe are unpolished and naturally grown from North-East India. Black rice have high dietary fiber and nutritional value. It is gluten free and diabetic friendly. Black rice also known as forbidden rice or purple rice is a medium-grain, heirloom rice with a deep purple hue and a nutty, slightly sweet flavor.
It has high antioxidant quotient. Antioxidants boost immunity levels and help your body stave off various ailments and infections better. The antioxidants also help discard toxins from body. Studies have revealed eating black rice can also help keep some dreaded ailments at bay.
The texture of black rice is a bit heavier as compared to other varieties of rice but its natural flavour is rich and sweet. It has a pleasant and nutty flavour. It goes very well with coconut milk for making sweetened desserts and puddings. A variety of dishes can be prepared with black rice like desserts, puddings, cakes, bread, salad, one-pot meals, wine etc. Black in colour when harvested, once cooked it turns deep purple
Black rice takes longer time to cook than white rice so to cut down on cooking time, soak it overnight or much before you start cooking.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BLACK RICE:
If you try a research on the health and nutritional benefits of black rice you will be amaze to know how this superfood really benefits us in regards to our health. Black rice is known for its nutritional benefits. Some of the nutrients rich in black rice are listed below. These information are extracted from the healthline website. Read the amazing article in details here
Also read the Benefits & Uses Of Black Rice from healthline.
● Antioxidants – Purple rice’s color is created by a flavonoid called anthocyanin pigment. This same pigment gives blueberries, eggplants, and other healthy fruits and vegetables their deep color. Anthocyanins are phytochemicals found in plants.
They may also have anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic properties. A powerful antioxidant, anthocyanin has been linked to reducing cases of diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. One studyTrusted Source linked purple rice to cancer prevention in rats.
● Fiber – Sticky purple rice is a whole grain, meaning the outer bran layer is intact. This makes it high in fiber, as well as slightly nutty in flavor. Fiber is important for regular bowel movements and overall bowel health. Fiber may also help with losing weight and lowering cholesterol and blood pressure.
● Protein – Purple rice is a good source of protein, making it an excellent addition to a vegetarian diet. Protein helps reduce muscle loss by helping the body build and repair muscle tissue. It also helps with cell growth and keeps bones strong.
● Iron – Purple rice is a significant source of iron. Iron is a mineral that is necessary for helping to make red blood cells and transport oxygen. It also supports the transmission of nerve impulses, which control body movements. Without enough iron, anemia can result.
VARIATIONS OF BLACK RICE LADOO
● Once the initial steps of soaking and drying the rice is done, you can roast the black rice until crisp and nice aroma from the black rice. Let it cool down and grind to a powder. Add jaggery, grated coconut and grind again for few minutes. If you want you can add some ghee also. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Meanwhile roast the chopped nuts in little ghee and add them to the rice mixture. Mix well and take small portion of the mixture. Bind them into balls with your palm. Your ladoos are ready. You can roll the ladoos in coconut powder or dessicated coconut.
● You can also grind the nuts along with the rice mixture at the final stage.
● You can add peanuts and walnuts to the black rice ladoo.
● You can add a dash of cardamom powder to the ladoo or add 1-2 green cardamom whole grinding the rice if powder is not available.
● I have used Nestle milkmaid store bought condensed milk as a sweetner. You can substitute it with sugar or jaggery.
● I have used whole milk for the extra richness. You may simply use water instead of milk.
● Use dry fruits and nuts of your choice.
I made a simple video of nuts Stuffed black rice ladoo for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel. It will means a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
NUTS STUFFED BLACK RICE LADOO VIDEO TUTORIAL
HOW LONG CAN WE STORE THESE LADOOS?
This ladoos will stay good for atleast 4-5 days at room temperature. You can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for longer period of time. If refrigerated, you need to take out the ladoos from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature before serving.
FEW BLACK RICE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
FEW INDIAN SWEETS AND DESSERTS YOU MIGHT LIKE
● Colourful Sweet Boondi
● Mango Rasmalai
● Sooji Ka Halwa
● Bread Dates Halwa
● Sweet Khaja
● Tricolor Semiya
● Steamed Mango Yogurt
● Milk Cake / Kalakand
● Kadalai Paruppu Payasam
● Bread Gulab Jamun
● Mixed Fruit & Nuts Kheer
● Rasmalai Tart (Fusion)
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
How did you like the recipe? Please do share your thoughts about the recipe with me here and do try the recipe, I am sure you will love it.
So here’s how to make black rice ladoo.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes minutes
Yields: 8-10 ladoos
1 cup = 240 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Ingredients to make black rice ladoo:
½ cup black rice
3 tsp ghee/clarified butter
¼ cup whole milk
3 tbsp nestle milkmaid (condensed milk)
5 cashewnuts chopped
5 almonds chopped
8-10 pistachios chopped
5-6 cherries chopped
2 tbsp grated coconut (fresh)
For coating the ladoo:
Few dried rose petals crushed
Dried grated coconut
Step by step pictorial instructions to make black rice ladoo:
Wash the black rice and rice for 3-4 hours or overnight. Drain the water from soaked rice and allow to dry slightly.
To make the drying faster I have used a clean cotton cloth to dry and wipe the moisture from the rice. You can directly put under the sun which is a quite method to dry the rice or can put the rice under the fan.
In a pan dry roast the black rice until it is roasted well and starts to crackle. Now add 1 tsp ghee, roast for a minute and take off the heat.
Allow the rice to cool down and grind them into a powder.
In a pan add 1 tsp ghee and roast the nuts for a minute. Add the grated coconut and roast for few seconds. Remove them in a bowl. Add the cherries, mix them well together and set aside. The stuffing is ready.
In a plate or bowl mix the dried grated coconut and crushed rose petals. Mix well and set aside.
In a pan add the ground black rice. Keep the heat on low throughout this process.
Add milk in batches, stir and bring the mixture together.
Add the milkmaid (condensed milk), mix well for a minute.
Add the ghee, mix well and turn off the heat.
Transfer the mixture to a plate and bind it into a dough.
Take a portion of the dough, roll it in your palm and flatten them. You may grease your hand with ghee or water to prevent the dough from sticking to your hand and ease of rolling.
Add the stuffings and bring the edges together and roll them in between your palm to form round ball like a ladoo.
Now roll them in the coconut and dried rose petals mixture. Your black rice ladoo stuffed with dry fruits & nuts is ready.
● Use dry fruits and nuts of your choice.
● Rolling the ladoos in coconut is optional.
● Milkmaid can be substituted with sugar jaggery.
● Grease your hands with ghee, oil or water while rolling the ladoos.
● Milk can be substituted with water.
Well, if you make this black rice ladoo, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Pekkoy Black Rice | Manipuri Chak Hao – 800 GMS (400 GMS x 2) | Aromatic Forbidden Rice | Vacumm Packed
Dry Fruit Hub Healthy Nuts Mix 300gm, Dry Fruits Mixed (Cashew Kernels, Almonds, Pistachio Salted, Kishmish Raisins, Walnuts, Cranberry), Dry Fruits Combo Pack