Black Rice Kheer is one of my favourite pudding and I am super excited to share the recipe here today. Black Rice Kheer is one of the healthiest dessert. It is more healthier than the white rice kheer.
Black rice also known as forbidden rice or purple rice has immense nutritional and health benefits. Some of which are – rich in antioxidants, natural dexotifier, good source of fiber, preventing risk of diabetes, preventing risk of obesity, richer protein content and better heart health. It is one of the healthiest variety of Rice, packed with the wide array of Nutrients. Black rice has a very unique flavour and Nutty in taste and texture. The rice is aromatic and flavorful. The aroma that feels the house while cooking this rice is just amazing and feels heavenly.
Black Rice takes more longer time to cook than the other normal rice. The rice is soaked for couple of hours or overnight and then cooked. Some even pressure cook the rice first before making the recipe to make it faster. But here i have soaked the rice overnight and cooked it like the way we cook normal rice. You can add milkmaid to the recipe. The dry fruits and nuts can be roasted in ghee before adding it to the kheer. I have not used the milkmaid and ghee since the rice is itself so flavorful and aromatic and so did not want to overpower the real flavor of rice with those ingredients 😉.
So do try out this rich, creamy, flavourful and healthier dessert and let me know how it turned out for you. Also watch this space for more recipes of this superfood coming up here. Now let move on to the recipe.
- Preparation time : atleast 3-4 hrs soaking time
- Cooking time : 30 mins
- Serves : 4
- 1 cup soaked black rice
- 1 litre milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 pods Cardamom
- Pistachios, Almond and Raisin for serving
- Wash the black rice 3-4 times in water and soak them in water for atleast 3-4 hours or overnight.
- In a thick bottom pan or pot pour the milk and bring it to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice and continue to cook on a low-medium heat stirring it frequently to avoid sticking the rice at the bottom.
- When the milk starts to thickens add the sugar and cardomon and cook till the rice is cooked and the kheer becomes creamy. Remove from heat and discard the cardamom pods.
- Pour the kheer in serving dish, garnish with layers of Raisins, sliced almond and pistachios and serve warm or chilled.
Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Please do leave your valuable feedbacks as I would to hear from you all. Happy cooking!