Pineapple upside down cake is a classic recipe, a cake which is loved by everybody. This pineapple upside down cake is a soft and moist cake with delicious and awesome pineapple flavour. Those caramelised pineapples are to die for. If you love pineapple and cakes then this one is definitely for you.
The caramelized sugar incorporated with the flavors of pineapples and cherries not only makes it a treat to our taste buds but also to our eyes as well. This pineapple upside down cake is super easy to make and is the perfect dessert for special occasions, or potlucks and a great tea cake too!
This pineapple upside down cake is a simple and an easy one bowl recipe. This easy to make recipe is sure to delight everyone in your family and love it as much as we do!
This pineapple upside down cake recipe was on my to do list and finally got a chance to bake this on my son’s demand. Also many of my fans and readers have requested for eggless version so today I am finally here with my eggless version of pineapple upside down cake.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS EGGLESS PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE:
● easy to make
● needs no extra efforts
● no fancy ingredients and equipments required
● It’s so rich
● looks so pretty
● beautiful dessert to serve in parties or get-togethers
● extra soft, moist and tender
● absolutely delicious
● amazing texture and full of flavor
EGGLESS PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE INGREDIENTS:
This eggless pineapple upside down cake is an easy and simple recipe, still it looks tempting, beautiful and taste awesome. It is incredibly moist and soft. The ingredients used are all basic ones which are commonly used in baking and are easily available in any stores and supermarkets. Let’s briefly go through the ingredients used in this recipe.
● All purpose flour (maida) – The recipe uses all purpose flour as the base ingredient.
● Baking powder and baking soda – Since it is an eggless recipe, both the leavening agents are used. Both helps in the giving a perfect rise to the cake.
● Salt – To enhance the overall flavor and helps to balance out the sweetness too.
● Milk – The recipe uses whole milk. Milk adds richness to the cake. I recommend using whole milk.
● Oil – Sunflower oil is used here. The oil adds moisture to the cake resulting a soft and moist textured cake.
● Vinegar – Vinegar plays a huge role in rising. The reaction of vinegar with the baking soda release carbon dioxide, which helps cakes and breads rise as they bake.
● Sugar – For the cake batter granulated sugar is used.
● Pineapple juice – Gives extra and rich pineapple flavor to the pineapple upside down.
● Pineapple essence – I have used pineapple essence to strengthen and adds a nice pineapple flavor.
● Butter – Helps in caramelizing the brown sugar in the topping.
● Brown sugar – Gives a gooey caramelized toppings to the pineapple upside down cake.
● Pineapple rings – Pineapple rings caramelizes in the butter and brown sugar layer, giving the cake its rich and gooey caramelized look.
● Maraschino cherries – Maraschino cherries add a burst of sweet flavor. In addition to that, they look so beautiful and attractive embedded in the baked cake.
HOW TO MAKE PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE?
To make eggless pineapple upside down cake, first we need to make the cake pan ready. Pour the melted butter over the pan. Spread the butter all over the cake pan greasing the sides of the cake pan too.
Sprinkle the brown sugar covering the base of the base of the cake pan nicely
Line the pineapple slices and the cherries. Set aside.
Next prepare the cake batter. Pour the cake batter and tap gently.
Bake till done.
Remove from oven and let the cake stand in the pan for 10 minutes.
Invert and let it cool down completely.
Slice after the cake cools down completely.
I made a simple recipe video of eggless pineapple upside down cake for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you haven’t yet. It will mean a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE VIDEO TUTORIAL
VARIATIONS AND TIPS IN PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
● For the base you can make a caramel of butter and brown sugar and spread it over the cake pan instead of directly adding the butter and brown sugar on the cake tin base. Just make sure you don’t cook the butter and brown sugar for long as it may burn and turn bitter.
● You can use any fruits for the base with the same recipe. Fruits like apples, bananas, mangoes, peaches, pears, apricots, strawberries, oranges etc.
● You can use your preferred base cake recipe for this pineapple upside down cake.
● You can add finely chopped pineapple pieces to the cake batter.
● You can give a beautiful twist to this classic pineapple upside down cake. You can make a double layered cake. Add a thin layer of whipped cream with chopped pineapple or cherries and your normal pineapple upside down cake get updated within a jiffy!
SUBSTITUTION OF INGREDIENTS AND TIPS IN PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
● Instead of all purpose flour you can use whole wheat flour or a mix of both. Whole wheat cakes are slightly denser than all purpose flour cake.
● Granulated sugar can be replaced with brown sugar.
● You can use canned pineapple. This will save time and less work too. Look for pineapple stored in sugar syrup. You can directly use it from the can, just drain the syrup nicely before using it.
● You can used fresh cherries instead of tinned cherries or glazed cherries.
● You can use store bought or ready made buttermilk. Just replace the milk and vinegar with buttermilk. (The measurement of buttermilk will be the same as the milk). Buttermilk works like a magic in baking and especially it is an amazing egg substitute. It produces unbelievably tender cakes.
You can also make your own buttermilk at home – mix one tablespoon of vinegar with 1 cup of milk. Mix and keep aside for 5-10 minutes and your buttermilk is ready.
● You can also use curd aka yogurt and opt out the vinegar. Use ½ cup curd/yogurt. If using yogurt you need to adjust the quantity of milk, add as required.
● You can use 2 eggs if you want to make with eggs. Opt out the vinyl and baking soda.
● Oil can be substituted with butter.
HOW TO USE FRESH PINEAPPLE FOR MAKING PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE?
If you’re using fresh pineapple it is advisable to cook the fresh pineapple in sugar syrup for 10-15 minutes. This will make the pineapple more soft and nicely sweetened with the sugar syrup.
HOW TO USE CANNED PINEAPPLE IN THIS RECIPE?
Apart from fresh pineapple, you can also use canned pineapple which is easy and fuss free. You can directly use the slices by draining it nicely.
HOW TO STORE THIS PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE?
Leftover pineapple upside down cake can be stored at room temperature for atleast 2 days in an airtight container. I would recommend not to store in room temperature beyond 2 days since pineapple slices are in the cake. Still if you have leftover after 2 days you can store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
This cake is at it’s best when it is fresh. This cake is good to serve warm unlike other cake. Serve it as is or with some ice cream!
LOOKING FOR MORE EGGLESS CAKE RECIPES?
Berry Jam Cake
Chocolate Wine Fruit Cake
Christmas Fruit Cake (Alcoholic)
Non-Alcoholic Christmas Cake
Chocolate Strawberry Chilly Whisky Cake
Chocolate Cake With Ganache Frosting
Banana Walnut Cake
Banana Chocolate Cake
Glazed Orange Bundt Cake
Gluten Free Vanilla Cake
Malai Cake / Fresh Cream Cake
Fruit And Nut Cake
Whole Wheat Orange Cake
Here are all my Bakes & Cakes recipes if you’re craving more baking inspiration.
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
If you’re a fan of pineapple and cherries, then I bet you’re going to devour this eggless pineapple upside down cake. I’m sure you’ll love it!
If you are looking to bake a festive yet simple cake, do try this eggless pineapple upside down cake and you will love it. Do try this recipe and share your thoughts about the recipe with me here.
Let’s get started with the recipe now!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
Serves: 8-10 slices
1 cup = 240 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Pan size =7 or 7.5 inches diameter × 2 inches height
Ingredients to make pineapple upside down cake:
For the base:
2 tbsps butter
¼ cup brown sugar
5 pineapple slices
For the cake:
1½ cup All purpose flour
1¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
½ cup milk
1 tbsp vinegar
¼ cup pineapple fresh juice
⅓ cup oil (5 tbsps/80 ml)
½ cup sugar (100 gms/120 ml)
½ tsp pineapple essence or vanilla essence
Step by step pictorial instructions to make pineapple upside down cake:
PREPARE THE TOPPING:
Pour melted butter over the baking dish.
Then sprinkle brown sugar.
Arrange the pineapple slices and cherries in the cake pan.
PREHEATING THE OVEN:
Preheat the oven at 180° C for 10 minutes with both rods on.
PREPARE THE CAKE BATTER:
Whisk together the sugar, milk, pineapple juice, oil, vinegar and pineapple essence. Allow sugar to melt completely.
Seive in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the wet ingredients mixture.
Gently fold to make a smooth batter without any lumps.
Pour the batter over the prepared cake pan.
Tap the cake pan for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles incorporated inside.
BAKING THE CAKE:
Bake the cake at preheated oven @180° C with both rods on for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Baking time will differ depending upon one’s oven temperature. So please do check before the above mentioned time.
INVERTING THE CAKE:
Once the cake is out, let it cool for 10 minutes.
Then, run a knife along the edges to separate the cake from the sides of the pan.
Place your plate on top and flip.
Allow the cake to cool down completely.
Slice the cake only once the cake has cool down completely.
● Always preheat your oven and bake at preheated oven.
● Always sift the dry ingredients.
● Do not skip the butter and brown sugar before placing the pineapple slices.
● Sugar can be increased to ⅔ cup if you like sweeter cake.
● You can use whole wheat flour or the 50:50 ratio.
● You may also use same measurement butter instead of oil for the cake.
● Baking time will differ from oven to oven so check out the cake before the mentioned time.
● You can also use buttermilk or curd aka yogurt.
● Use whole milk for more richness.
Eggless Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Mixing bowl
- 7 inches round tin
- 240 ml measuring cup set
For Caramelized Base:
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar (50 grams)
- 5 slices pineapple
- 7 cherries
For Sponge Cake:
- 1½ cup all purpose flour (192 grams)
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk (120 ml)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (15 ml)
- ¼ cup fresh pineapple juice (60 ml)
- ⅓ cup oil (5 tablespoon/80 ml)
- ½ cup sugar (100 grams)
- ½ teaspoon pineapple essence or vanilla essence
Preparing The Base:
- Pour melted butter over the baking dish.
- Then sprinkle brown sugar.
- Arrange the pineapple slices and cherries in the cake pan.
Preheat The Oven:
- Preheat the oven at 180° C for 10 minutes with both rods on.
Prepare The Cake Batter:
- Whisk together the sugar, milk, pineapple juice, oil, vinegar and pineapple essence. Allow sugar to melt completely.
- Seive in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the wet ingredients mixture.
- Gently fold to make a smooth batter without any lumps.
- Pour the batter over the prepared cake pan.
- Tap the cake pan for 3-4 times to release any air bubbles incorporated inside.
Baking The Cake:
- Bake the cake at preheated oven @180° C with both rods on for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Baking time will differ depending upon one’s oven temperature. So please do check before the above mentioned time.
Inverting The Cake:
- Once the cake is out, let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Then, run a knife along the edges to separate the cake from the sides of the pan.
- Place your plate on top and flip. Allow the cake to cool down completely.
- Slice the cake only once the cake has cool down completely.
- Always preheat your oven and bake at preheated oven.
- Always sift the dry ingredients.
- Do not skip the butter and brown sugar before placing the pineapple slices.
- Sugar can be increased to ⅔ cup if you like sweeter cake.
- You can use whole wheat flour or the 50:50 ratio.
- You may also use same measurement butter instead of oil for the cake.
- Baking time will differ from oven to oven so check out the cake before the mentioned time.
- You can also use buttermilk or curd aka yogurt.
- Use whole milk for more richness.
Well, if you make this classic pineapple upside down cake, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
Disclosure: At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Lezzet Culinary Essence Assorted 20 Ml, Pack of 10 Flavors (Vanilla, Pineapple, Cardamom, Rose, Butterscotch, Strawberry, Saffron, Pista, Mango and Chocolate)
Hua You 3 in 1 Aluminium Round Cake Mould (8/7/6.5 Inch)
Del Monte Pineapple Slices, 836g
Habit Red Cherries In Syrup
INOVERA (LABEL) Plastic 12 Pcs Measuring Cups & Spoons Teaspoon Tablespoon Set (Sky Blue)
Muskan Collection Roti Wrap Roll wrap Butter Paper Parchment Paper for Cooking Eco-Friendly Non-Bleached Non-Wax Non-Stick Paper Food Baking Cookie Toaster White, Size-10×10 Inch (Pack of 100 Sheets)
Morphy Richards OTG Besta 40-Litre Oven Toaster Grill (Black)
Morphy Richards 23 L Convection Microwave Oven (23MCG, Black)
Prestige POTG 46 LTR – with Rotisserie and Convection