Dal with egg potato is one dish I have been eating since childhood. My mom used to cook this and this is how I learnt this recipe my mom from our own kitchen 😜. This is one of the recipe from list which I have learnt from my mom. It’s been on our personal favourite list for ages, so I felt it is high time to share with you!
This curry is easy to make, hearty and healthier. To start with I first pressure cooked the dal and potato. Next slightly shallow fried the boiled egg in the oil then followed by tempering the spices and stir fry the onion, garlic, tomato and the masala in the same oil used for frying the eggs. Lastly pour the pressure cooked dal, potato and fried boiled eggs and cook for couple of minutes and voila your healthy and unique curry is ready.
Dal with egg and potato is mildly spiced. This recipe calls for less spices and masala. It is a super hearty and a unique combination dish, at the same time very easy to make. I definitely recommend adding it in your to-make list! If you are a vegetarian you can leave out the eggs and enjoy it with your choice of rice or breads.
I love to add potatoes in my dal fry and enjoy it with rice and breads like chapati, dosa and idli. Infact I love dal fry more than sambhar for my dosa and idli. So whenever there is idli and dosa in the meal menu I make dal fry and some veg and non-veg side dishes to go with it.
Mixed dal with egg and potato can be perfectly paired with plain rice, ghee rice, jeera rice or any Indian flatbread.
As I mentioned it is an easy and quick recipe, you can make this whenever you are in a rush or have sudden guest coming your home. It’s definitely an impressive dish to make for guests. I am sure everyone will like it. So do try out the recipe and if you happened to try this recipe do let me know how you like it!
MORE CURRY RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Well, if you make this mixed dal with egg and potato, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations. Now let’s jump to the recipe.
Ingredients to make mixed lentils with egg and potato:
½ cup masoor dal / red lentil
¼ cup yellow moong dal / yellow petite lentil
¼ cup toor dal / split pigeon peas
2 potato large cubes
4 hard boiled eggs
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 large onion chopped
2 dry red chilly broken
1 tomato chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chilly powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
Few coriander leaves chopped
Water as required
Add all the dal in a bowl. Wash for 3-4 times. Add water, soak them and keep aside while making the other ingredients ready.
Peel the hard boiled eggs and make 2-3 slashes or prick them around with a fork.
Heat oil in a pan, add the eggs and fry them slightly.
In the same oil add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and let it crackle.
Add in garlic, onion, dry red chilli and saute till onion turns soft.
Add in tomato and let it turn mushy.
Add in turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt to taste and saute for a minute.
Pour the pressure cooked dal, potato, fried egg and let it come to a boil.
Add in water as required and let it boil for about 5 minutes.
Add chopped coriander leaves if using, give a quick stir and take off the heat.
Serve hot with your choice of rice or any flatbread.
Mixed Dal With Egg And Potato
- pressure cooker
- frying pan
- ½ cup masoor da / red lentil
- ¼ cup yellow moong dal / yellow petite lentil
- ¼ cup toor dal / split pigeon peas
- 2 large potato cubed
- 4 nos hard boiled eggs
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 nos dry red chilly broken
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1 tablespoon salt or as per taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Few coriander leaves chopped
- Water as required
- Add all the dal in a bowl. Wash for 3-4 times. Add water, soak them and keep aside while making the other ingredients ready.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and make 2-3 slashes or prick them around with a fork.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the eggs and fry them slightly.
- In the same oil add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and let it crackle.
- Add in garlic, onion, dry red chilli and saute till onion turns soft.
- Add in tomato and let it turn mushy.
- Add in turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt to taste and saute for a minute.
- Pour the pressure cooked dal, potato, fried egg and let it come to a boil.
- Add in water as required and let it boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves if using, give a quick stir and take off the heat.
- Serve hot with your choice of rice or any flatbread.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.