Soft and fluffy hedgehog bread rolls stuffed with chocolate. These stuffed bread rolls are cute, delicious and so fun to make. The aromas wafting the air while baking this chocolate stuffed hedgehog bread are just incredible and irresistible. Let’s have some baking fun this festive season. Kids will love making these fun bread rolls. Involve them in making it and I bet you gonna love it as much as we did!
We had a great time baking this hedgehog bread. I have made dinner rolls, other buns and bread but never tried like this animal shaped rolls. This shaped baked buns was interesting, cute and looks fun, so I decided to do something different this time and baked this hedgehog rolls. We got a bit carried away though and ended up with some bunnies too. These tender bread rolls are almost too cute to eat.
I love to try out new recipes, be it baking or cooking. Hedgehog buns was one of those buns which interested me to try it out and it happened! I was a bit skeptical how they would turn out, especially the shape since working and giving such shapes on well proofed dough is not that easy. Anyhow I went ahead and the result was awesomely soft and perfect texture buns. The shape also turn out well. My little one really enjoyed making them and eating them so I’m considering them a success!
I stuffed my buns with chocolate but you can add filling of your choice. You can make savoury version of it too. Its a perfect snack for kids because you can add in those vegetables which they do not enjoy much.
These stuffed hedgehog buns are made using the tangzhong method. Tangzhong is a popular Japanese technique of cooking a small percentage of flour and liquid from the bread recipe into a soft pudding like consistency which is used in making breads. This tangzhong after cooling down is simply added to the flour mix when kneading your bread dough. This magic ingredient makes the bread super soft and stay fresh for longer period. Do visit the blog to know more about tangzhong and follow the same recipe of it for making this hedgehog stuffed buns.
LET’S TALK INGREDIENTS
To make these stuffed hedgehog rolls you only need flour, yeast, butter, sugar, salt and milk. To make soft pillowy rolls, you will need ingredients that are easily available in most households. These simple ingredients when combined together result in cute, soft and delicious buns. You need to make this!
● All purpose flour (maida) – The recipe uses all purpose flour. You may use bread as well. You can use whole wheat flour too. The rolls would be a little bit dense and not as light and fluffy. I recommend using the 50:50 ratio of all purpose flour and wheat flour.
● Yeast – I have used instant yeast. Instant yeast can be directly added to the flour. However you can also used active dry yeast. If using active dry yeast you need to activate the yeast first and then add to the flour.
● Milk – I have used whole milk. Milk adds richness to the dough resulting in soft crumb, tender and golden crust rolls. I recommend using whole milk for extra richness. Milk can be substituted for water or can be used in the 50:50 ratio.
● Sugar – Sugar feeds the yeast and helps in activation. Yeast will bloom faster if it has sugar so dont skip adding sugar.
● Butter – Butter makes the pav rich. Room temperature butter will work best! I have used salted or unsalted butter. Anyone will work.
● Raisins – I have used black raisins for decorating the eyes.
● Chocolate – I have used chocolate for stuffing. I kept the chocolate bigger chunks for nice chocolatey stuffing. You can use any variety of chocolate.
● You can make the dough chocolate dough by adding cocoa powder while kneading the dough.
● You can make savoury version of the roll by adding spices or herbs of your choice.
● Sweetness of the rolls can be increased by adding more sugar.
Stuffing the bun is optional though I have used chocolate stuffing. There is a hell lot of stuffing options. The sky is the limit! Some of the stuffing option i have mentioned below. You can try and experiment with some of your favourite stuff.
● You can use any chocolatey stuffing like chocolate chunks, nutella, ganache etc
● You can use any veggies masala, mushroom, paneer, potato, corn etc
● You can also use any meat stuffings.
● You can use pizza stuffing with your choice of veggies or meat.
● You can use any of your favourite jams like mixed fruit, strawberry, mango, orange, pineapple etc.
● You can use use peanut butter as stuffing.
HOW TO MAKE HEDGEHOG BREAD ROLLS?
These rolls are made with plain flour with little creation and shaped it like a hedgehog. These rolls are stuffed with chocolate, while for the eyes raisins are used. The spikes are made with a pair of scissors.
● Make the dough and allow to proof.
● Once proofed, divide the dough into medium portion.
● Roll the dough into balls.
● Flatten it slightly, stuff the chocolate and shape it into oval shape with one end pointed.
● Keep the dough covered for second proofing
● Make snip on the back of the shaped dough with scissors to create spikes.
● Make a snip about ½ inch deep with scissors on the pointed end.
● Place 2 black raisins for the eyes.
● Brush with a milk/egg wash
● Bake as directed.
I made a simple video of hedgehog bread rolls for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel. It will means a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
Hedgehog Bread Rolls Video Tutorial
TIP TO SHAPE THE HEDGEHOG
● Once the first proofing, divide the dough into portions. Slightly flatten the portion with hand and stuff the chocolate. Give an oval shape to the dough like hedgehog. Keep for second proofing.
● Make the spikes only after the second proofing . This is the best way to make the spikes stay visible, as the dough rise during proofing you may find the spikes disappear if you proof it with the spikes.
Can I make the dough in advance?
Yes, you can make this dough upto 2 days in advance. Once the dough is ready cover it well and put it in the refrigerator for atleast 12 hours and upto 2 days. We won’t let the dough rise in the countertop like how we normally do for making bread. The colder temperatures will slow down the rise. You can then remove from the fridge when you’re ready to bake. Shape it, proof it and bake it.
FEW BREAD RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
NO YEAST BREAD RECIPES
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
So do try out this super cute and absolutely delicious hedgehog rolls for your family and loved ones and share your thoughts about the recipe with me here.
Let’s get started with the recipe now.
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
☆ 1 cup = 240 ml
☆ 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
☆ 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Ingredients to make hedgehog bread rolls:
For tangzhong (water roux ):
Get the recipe here
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp butter (room temperature)
⅓ cup warm whole milk or water (80 ml)
Few black raisins for the eyes
150-200 gms chocolate for stuffing
Step by step pictorial instructions to make hedgehog bread rolls:
MAKING THE DOUGH:
In a large mixing bowl sieve the all purpose flour and salt.
Add in the sugar, instant yeast and stir to combine.
Add the tangzhong (water roux) and mix well with the flour mixture.
Add in the warm milk and bring the mixture together.
Add in the butter and combine the dough.
Bring the dough to a clean surface, dust the surface lightly if required. Knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes until smooth and form a ball.
Place the dough in a greased bowl and grease the dough lightly. Cling wrap it and allow to proof in a warm place for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until doubled. It took only 40 minutes for me.
CHOCOLATE FOR STUFFING:
Chop the chocolate slab into bigger pieces and keep aside.
SHAPING THE ROLLS:
Gently deflate the dough and turn out onto a cleaned surface. Flatten the dough and fold it into a log and divide the dough into 8-10 portions depending upon your preferred size of the rolls.
Take the portion and flatten them with your hand. Stuff the chocolate and shape it into an oval shape with one end pointed to make it a snout making it look like hedgehog.
Place the rolls on a greased or parchment paper lined baking tray about 2 inches apart. Cover it and keep for 30 minutes for 2nd proofing.
FINAL SHAPING OF THE ROLLS:
Using a kitchen scissor make a row of snips from one side of the hedgehog to the other creating sharp pointing small spikes on the back of the hedgehog. Make a snip with scissor on the pointed end. Place 2 black raisins for the eyes.
Brush the rolls gently with milk.
BAKING THE ROLLS:
Preheat oven @180° C for 10 minutes.
Bake the rolls at preheated oven @180°C wih both the filaments for 25 minutes or until golden brown. The rolls will make a hollow sound when tapped.
Remove from the oven and brush butter immediately. Cover with a towel and keep for about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool down completely. Enjoy!
● Butter can be substituted with any flavorless oil.
● You can whole wheat flour or 50:50 ratio of APF and WWF.
● You can use water instead of milk.
● Use any stuffing as per your palate preference – sweet or savoury.
● You can spiced the dough with spices or herbs.
● Always bake your goodies at preheated oven.
● Baking time will differ as every oven eats differently. Bake per your oven temperature.
● You can use egg wash instead of milk wash if you like to use egg.
Well, if you make this stuffed hedgehog buns, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
Disclosure: At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Gloripan Instant Dry Yeast – (500 Grams)
The Organic Basket’s Active Dry Yeast 100 Grams
GONIRY1 Pc Reusable Non-Stick Kneading Dough Mat Bakery Measuring Mat Easy to Clean Silicone Mat 50 x 40 cm (Random Colour) Nonstick Silicone Mat
Crownish 1Pcs Pyramid Pan Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat Mould Cooking Mat Oven Baking Tray Silicone Grill Mat Pyramid Multi-Function Baking Pan Microwave Oven Pad 39 * 28.5Cm (Multicolor)
Grizzly Rectangle Nonstick Wire Cooling Rack Baking Tools (Black)
BAKERY HUB Steel Baking Rings for 5 Hot Dog 6 Inch+ 5 Burger 3.5 Inch
sakoraware Plastic Measuring Spoon and Cup Set (10 pcs) Combo with Silicone Spatula and Pastry Brush Set and Stainless Steel Egg Whisker (8 Inches)
Syga Sieve Cup Manual Sifter, Silver
MORDE Dark Compound Slab, 400 g – Pack of 2
FLAVOURS Premium Gourmet Dark Chocolate Chips – Organic Chocolate – 250 Grams + Free 50 Grams Mix Chocolate Chips
BICHI™ Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale, Kitchen Scale Digital Multipurpose, Weight Machines for Kitchen, Weight Machine, Weight Scale Kitchen, Kitchen Weight Machine, Kitchen Weighing Scale Digital
Borosil DIGIPRO 38L, Digital OTG, with Motorised Rotisserie and Convection, 1500W, 4 Stage Heat Selection, Black
FAIRY HOME™ Cotton Microwave Oven Mitten for Microwave – Set of 4 PCS 2 Oven Gloves & 2 Pot Holders- Heat Resistant