Pol Roti is a very popular Sri Lankan coconut flatbread made of all purpose flour, grated coconut and salt. What is the uniqueness about this roti is the addition of grated coconut to the dough.
This is a traditional breakfast of Sri Lanka served with Pol Sambol which is made of grated coconut, onion, red chilly powder and lime juice. It can be served with curries too. Apart from breakfast pol roti can be served for dinner with curries. It can also be eaten as a snacks with jams etc.
Pol Roti can be made even more spiced and flavorful by adding finely chopped onions and green chillies along with flour and grated coconut.
It is a simple and easy recipe. In short it is the easiest bread to make – no yeast, no proofing, no resting 😀. This quintessential Sri Lankan breakfast is a meal in itself and good start with it to keep the day going.
Here in this recipe the flour and grated coconut along with salt is made into roti dough. Then divide the dough into equal balls, roll them with rolling pin and cook with minimum oil for 2-3 mins in a tawa.
So lets hear the recipe and please do try making this pol roti at home and enjoy it and I am sure it won’t disappoint you.
- Preparation time – 15 mins
- Cooking time – 20-25 mins
- Serves – 3
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup grated fresh coconut
- 1 tsp Salt or as per taste
- ½ cup water
- 2-3 tbsps coconut oil
- In a mixing bowl add the seived flour, grated coconut, salt and mix them well together.
- Add water little at a time and Knead it to make a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough in a kitchen towel and set aside for few mins. You can opt this step if you are in a rush.
- Divide the dough into medium size and roll them into balls.
- Take the balls and slightly flatten them. Dust the balls with flour and roll them into medium thickness roti with a help of rolling pin.
- Heat a tawa preferably iron cast. Grease the tawa with few drops of oil and cook the roti for about 2 mins on low heat or until you see golden brown spots.
- Drizzle one or two drops of oil, flip over and cook for 1-2 mins and remove them.
- Serve the roti with pol sambol or curry of your choice.
Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Please do share your feedback as i would love to hear from you all. Happy cooking 😀
14 thoughts on “Pol roti/ Coconut roti/ How to make Sri lankan roti”
Really interesting roti ! Love the addition of coconut in here !!
Thank you ☺
Hey such a colorful blog.. definitely going to try this one..seems very easy
Thank you so much Salomie ☺
I am going to give it a go for dinner tonight as my hubby loves roti!!! But this is a very interesting roti with coconut in it!!! we live in the pacific ocean so coconut is everywhere. now, i know to use them with flour 🙂 to make roti. I wonder what my hubby will say about the roti with coconut!?. thank you Akum for this recipe.
I ve always being looking out for recipe for pol roti.
Thank you so much.
Now i can make my own instead of buying.
Thank you again
I am glad to hear that ..thanks much for stopping by my blog 🙂