Karamani sundal / Black eyed peas sundal with step by step pictures – a healthy, filling and protein packed dish. Black eyed peas sundal is a healthy and nutritious dish made with boiled black eyed peas sauteed with mustard seeds, Urad dal, fresh grated coconut, dry red chillies, asafodita and curry leaves.
An easy and delicious South Indian style recipe with basic ingredients. This sundal is usually served as a prasadam in temples and made as an offering to God in poojas. This also serves as a delicous and healthy tea time snacks.
Karamai aka black eyed peas in English and lobia in hindi is a very popular legumes which is used in entire South India to make sundal. There are many variations of this sundal. The basic recipe for the sundal is almost the same; only variation is the use of the legumes as the base of the recipe – apart from black eyed peas legumes like rajma, chickpea, peanuts, peas etc are used in making sundal.
Unlike other legumes; Black eyed peas doesn’t required much time for soaking and need not soak them overnight, soaking 3-4 hours is pretty good enough.
Do try this easy sundal recipe and let me also know your feedback in the comments below.
Lets head on to the recipe now!
Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooking time : 15 mins
Serves : 3
1 cup Karamani / Black Eyed Peas
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 Sprig Curry Leaves
1/8 tsp Asafodita / Hing
2-3 Dry Red Chillies broken
1 Green Chilly chopped ( optional)
1/4 cup Coconut grated (fresh)
1 tsp roasted cumin powder
Salt to taste
Water for cooking the karamani
Wash the black eyed peas and soak them for 3-4 hours.
Drain off the water and pressure cook it with less water for 3-4 whistles. Once pressure released, drain off the water and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the Urad dal, mustard seeds and let it crackle.
Add curry leaves, dry red chillies, green chilly, asafodita and saute for a min.
Add grated coconut and saute for a min.
Add the boiled black eyed peas, roasted cumin powder and mix well.
Saute for about 3-5 mins and take off the heat.
- pressure cooker
- frying pan
- 1 cup karamani / black eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- ½ teaspoin mustaard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon asafodita / hing
- 2-3 nos dry red chillies broken
- 1 nis green chilly chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh coconut grated
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- salt to taste
- As required water for cooking the karamani
- Wash the black eyed peas and soak them for 3-4 hours.
- Drain off the water and pressure cook it with less water for 3-4 whistles. Once pressure released, drain off the water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the Urad dal, mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- Add curry leaves, dry red chillies, green chilly, asafodita and saute for a minute.
- Add grated coconut and saute for a minute.
- Add the boiled black eyed peas, roasted cumin powder and mix well.
- Saute for about 3-5 mins and take off the heat.
Well, if you make this karamani sundal, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
8 thoughts on “Karamani Sundal/ Black Eyed Peas Sundal / Lobia Sundal”
I love fresh coconut from the texture and the taste.