Biryani is one of the most popular and delectable dish that is loved by all across the world. It is a famous, rich, nutritious and royal food of the Indian Subcontinent. Biryani is believed to have been bought to India by the Mughals during the Mughal reign.
Biryani is made using aromatic basmati rice, whole spices, freshly grounded spices, yogurt, herbs likes mint & coriander and meat. Today I am going to share a vegetarian version of biryani Vegetable Dum Biryani which is prepared using basmati rice, fresh vegetables, nuts, raisins, whole spices and masalas and herbs like mint and coriander leaves.
The rice and vegetables are par cooked separately and then cooked further in Dum. DUM is a method where the rice and meat/vegetables are cooked separately with spices and then both are layered. The lid is sealed with flour dough so that the steam doesn’t escape and cooked further in steam on low flame.
Vegetable Dum Biryani is an aromatic, flavorful, nutritious and delicious dish. It is a full meal in itself. It easy, quick and fuss free to prepare and yeilds a perfect wholesome dish.
Thank you for stopping by my blog, I hope you liked the recipe, do share your valuable comments as i loved to hear from you all.
Happy cooking 😀
- Preparation time : 20 mins
- Cooking time – 30 mins
- Serves : 2-3
- Onion – 2 medium sliced
- Cashewnuts – 8-10
- Raisin – 2 tbsps
- Curd / Yogurt – ¼ cup
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Chilly powder to taste
- Biryani masala – 1 tsp
- Few saffron strands
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 2 tbsps
- Oil – 2 tbsps
Whole Masala Spices:
- Cumin – ½ tsp
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Black cardamom – 1
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cloves – 4
- Star anise – 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- French Beans – 6 chopped
- Carrot – 1 chopped
- Green peas – 3 tbsps
- Potato – 1 chopped parboiled
- Green chilly – 2 slit or as per your taste
- Few chopped coriander leaves
- Few chopped Mint leaves
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Water as required
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon a small stick
- Cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Salt to taste
- Wash the basmati rice thoroughly in water and soak them for atleast 30 mins.
- Soaked the saffron strands in little water. Keep aside until used.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add the sliced onions and fry till brown. Remove and keep side.
- In the same oil fry the cashewnuts till golden and add the raisins and fry for a min. Remove both and keep along with the fried onions.
- In the same oil add the ghee. Add the whole spices and saute till it crackles.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a min.
- Add half of the fried onion and the vegetables – french beans, carrots, peas and potatoes and saute for about 2 mins.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, Biryani masala and saute a min.
- Add the curd and mix well, cover the pan and cook on medium heat for about 5-10 mins.
- Meanwhile keep the rice for cooking. In a large pot boil enough water. Once the water comes to a boil add the masala spices and the drained rice and cook till it is 70-80% cooked.
- Drain the rice nicely in a strainer.
For layering for Dum:
- To make a two layer dum set aside half of the cooked vegetables. Now layer with half the rice.
- Add some chopped coriander and mint leaves and fried onion.
- Now layer the remaining vegetables following the remaining rice.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves, fried onions, cashewnuts and raisins.
- Pour the saffron water all over the rice.
- Heat a tawa over gas top. Reduce to low-medium heat. Place the pan over the hot tawa and cook it for about 10-15 mins. You can seal the pan with foil or atta dough.
- Remove from heat, open the pan and fluff it gently, garnish further with chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, fried onions, nuts and raisins and serve with raita.
11 thoughts on “Vegetable Dum Biryani/Veg biryani/Hyderabadi Vegetable Dum Biryani ”
Looks delicious! I made one recently too and it was a big hit. https://viewfromtheback.com/2017/11/09/the-musette-vegan-biryani/
Thank you 😀