Bakery style homemade stuffed masala buns with potato and veggies filling. This stuffed vegetable bun recipe is super delicious. These pav buns are eggless without any dairy ingredients like milk and butter. So it is a 100% vegan recipe. They’re super soft, fluffy and mildly spicy. You cannot stop with just one!
The recipe is similar to the recipe I used in Spiced Potato Stuffed Flower Bread but with a different stuffing recipe.
I was very happy with the outcome of the bun. The texture of the bread just turned awesome. Unbelievably soft, light and fluffy. These are the softest, lightest, fluffiest buns ever! A million times better then store brought buns and so easy to make.
Do you believe these buns are made of multigrain flour? Yes! And that’s why I was so surprised with the texture of the bun. Now it’s no doubt that baking powder did the trick. I learnt that adding a dash of baking powder in whole wheat bread baking makes the bread softer and lighter. And finally I have seen the end result with this recipe.
The eggless dough is made with multigrain flour of Aashirvaad brand. The dough and the stuffing is spiced with maggi masala e magic which is a complete aromatic spice mix. This is a super delicious recipe with loads of vegetable stuffed inside the bun. My husband and son love these stuffed buns and I’m sure you too will love it as much as we do.
Delicious, soft and homemade vegan buns stuffed with some mildly spiced vegetable mix and baked till it gets a nice crust on top. Serve it for dinner along with a soup, salad, some sides or curries for a special weekend meal.
You can also serve it as a perfect snack with tomato sauce or some chatpata chutneys during a snack time or tea time. It also serves as an appetizer during a kitty party or gatherings at home along with few refreshing drink like gingery aam panna, watermelon fizz, non-alcoholic sangria etc.
TIPS AND TRICKS TO MAKE A PERFECT STUFFED BUNS
To make a soft, light and fluffy stuffed bread, there are few things to look into.
The bun needs to be super soft. The key to a good soft bun is a moist dough. If your dough is soft, your bread will be soft, Dry dough will end up in dry bread. So just follow the recipe and stick to the proportions mentioned in the recipe.
This dough is meant to be slightly sticky at the beginning so avoid adding any extra flour. You can just dust the flour with little flour and knead the dough. It will look wet and sticky but it will come together eventually as it is kneaded. Adding extra will create a dense chewy bun instead of the light fluffy bun.
If the dough doesn’t feel like it’s coming together at all, let it rest for about 10 minutes before continuing kneading to relax the gluten.
For whole wheat and multigrain flour bread, adding a small amount of baking helps in extra soft, light and fluffy bread.
LETS TALK INGREDIENTS AND INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTES
For the bread dough, you will need:
● Multigrain flour – Multigrain flour is used to make it a healthier version. You can use all purpose flour or whole wheat flour if you dont want to use multigrain flour. Apart from these flours, you can also use bread flour which has high protein content and apt flour for making breads.
● Yeast – I use instant yeast, but you could also use active dry yeast as well.
● Baking Powder – Baking powder is added for extra light and fluffy texture.
● Sugar – Sugar feeds the yeast and helps in activation. Always add a little sugar to help activate the yeast and bloom faster.
● Warm water – This recipe uses Warm water to make the dough and brushing the dough. Always use warm liquid to activate the yeast. You can use milk instead of water. Milk adds richness to the dough resulting in soft crumb, tender and golden crust bread. I recommend using whole milk for extra richness.
● Oil – The recipe uses oil. Oil is used in the dough as well as for brushing the baked pavs once it is out of the oven. You can use room temperature butter. Butter is used to brush the baked bread once it is out of oven for glossy effect and also to make the bread softer.
● Salt – Salt to season the dough and enhance the over all flavor of the bread.
● Maggi Masala Ae Magic – This is a spice powder from maggi. I have used this spice powder to make the dough a spiced version. You can skip it and make it a plain bread.
FOR THE STUFFING YOU WILL NEED:
● Potato – Peeled potatoes are boiled until soft and then mashed. You can also use baby potatoes.
● Other Veggies – Carrot, french beans and cabbage is used. You can use vegetables of your choice and availability, some of which are peas, sweet corn, broccoli, cauliflower, capsicum, mushroom etc. Paneer stuffing is also a good option and it taste super delicious.
● Maggi masala ae magic – This maggi masala is used to spice the fillings. I recommend trying this awesome spice mix if you haven’t already tried it. You can also a mixture of the regular spices like turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder & cumin powder or used garam masala powder.
● Raisin – Raisin is used in stuffing. I love the mild tartness and the sweetness it imparts to the stuffing. You can use cashewnut and peanuts as well or can add or omit as per your palate preference.
● Other ingredients – Other ingredients like ginger garlic paste, onion and green chillies are used for sauteeing with the fillings.
● Salt – Salt for seasoning and over all taste enhancer.
ACTIVE DRY YEAST VS INSTANT YEAST
Instant yeast and active dry yeast are interchangeable at a 1:1 ratio. However, active dry yeast needs to be activated before adding to the flour. It needs to be bloomed with warm liquid before continuing with the recipe. Whereas instant yeast can be added directly to the flour and proceed with the recipe. We don’t need to activate the instant yeast before hand.
I made a simple video of stuffed masala pav for my readers which I have shared below. Do watch and please SUBSCRIBE to my channel. It will means a lot to me and motivate me to come up with more videos for my readers. As always looking forward to your feedbacks!
Stuffed Masala Pav Video Tutorial
CAN THE DOUGH BE KNEADED WITH STAND MIXER?
Absolutely yes! It is very much easier to knead the dough with a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment. The dough needs some kneading to come together and the gluten to form which while kneading with hand takes longer time approximately 8-10 minutes. But if using stand mixer the work is easier and is done within 3-4 minutes.
If one is new to bread baking windowpane test will tell you whether the dough is perfectly kneaded and is ready to proceed to the next step of the recipe. Here is how you can do the test. Once the dough is kneaded take a small portion of dough and stretch the dough with your fingers. If the dough stretches without tearing then it indicates that enough gluten has developed in the dough and it is ready for proofing. This is called the windowpane test. If the dough tears, it means you need to knead a little more.
CAN THESE BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
To make the dough ahead of time, allow the first rise of the dough to happen in the fridge overnight. Let it come to room temperature before knocking the air out of it and shaping into buns.
CAN THESE BUNS BE FROZEN?
Yes! Bake the buns as indicated then allow to cool completely. These can be stored in the fridge for atleast 2 days, not recommended more than 2 days. It can be frozen for up to 1 month or more. Store in an airtight container in the freezer. When you want to consume it thaw the buns at room temperature and reheat in the oven @180° C for 5-10 minutes. If using microwave reheat on full power for few seconds.
SUBSTITUTION AND VARIATION
● Optional seasonings – You can add garlic powder, onion powder, chilly powder, pepper powder etc in substitution of the above seasoning ingredients. These also add more flavor to the filling or you could play around with the ingredients and add seasoning as you like.
● Customize the stuffing to your liking and choice – You can play around with the stuffings and try various combinations such as:
• Caramelized onion and cheese
• Basil pesto
• Spinach and cheese
• Spinach and corn
• Garlic butter
• A combination of your favourite veggies
• combination of mashed potato and boiled egg
• Non veg stuffing of your choice like cooked chicken, beef, lamb, pork, ham, pepperoni, sausage, bacon, salami, boiled egg or scrambled eggs etc.
• You can give a cheesy filling with a combination of any of the above mentioned variation. My choice of cheese is a mixture of processed and mozzarella always, but you could use any cheese that you like. You can also use herbed cheese spread for added flavor to the filling.
● Multigrain flour substitutions: You can substitute with bread flour or can easily substitute it for regular all purpose flour, whole wheat flour or a 50:50 ratio of WWF AND APF. For a healthier alternative, i have used multigrain flour.
SOME BREAD ROLLS RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
NO YEAST BREAD RECIPES
All of the above recipes are super easy to prepare, ready in no time, and will never disappoint you.
Do give it a try and you’ll have a bakery style stuffed buns at the comfort of your home. I’m sure your friends and family will love it as much as we do. Please do share your thoughts about the recipe with me here. I would like to hear you.
Let’s get started with the recipe.
Preparation time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
☆ 1 cup = 240 ml
☆ 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
☆ 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
☆ Pan size = 7″ diameter 2″ height
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE STUFFED MASALA PAV:
2 cups multigrain flour or (whole wheat or all purpose flour )
¾ teaspoon instant yeast (½ tsp + ¼ tsp)
1 tablespoon sugar
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
200 ml lukewarm water
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon maggi masala ae magic
1 tablespoon oil
¼ cup onion chopped
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1 green chilly chopped
2 boiled potato mashed
¼ cup tomato chopped
¼ cup carrot finely chopped
¼ cup beans finely chopped
½ cup cabbage finely sliced
2 tablespoon rasins
2 teaspoon maggi masala ae magic
White sesame seeds
Back sesame seeds
Coriander leaves chopped
STEP BY STEP PICTORIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE STUFFED MASALA PAV:
MAKE THE DOUGH:
In a mixing bowl add the seived flour, baking powder, yeast, sugar, salt, maggi magic ae masala and mix well.
Add water and oil, stir and bring the mixture together. Once the dough comes together bring out the dough on a clean surface and knead the dough for 5-10 minutes using stretch and fold technique. If you feel your dough is slightly sticky dust some flour while kneading. You can also use a stand mixer to bring the dough together. Shape the dough into a ball before you let the dough rise.
Place the dough in a greased bowl and grease the dough lightly. Cling wrap or cover it with clean towel and allow to proof in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until doubled. It took only 1½ hours for me. Proofing time will vary depending upon the climatic conditions of the place.
If you to want to speed up this process , you can also use Instant Pot if you have one to let the dough proof. Hit the ‘Yogurt’ setting on your Instant Pot. The dough will need less than an hour to double in size in the Instant Pot.
MAKE THE STUFFING/FILLING:
In a pan heat oil. Add chopped onion and saute for few seconds. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute. Add green chillies and saute for a minute.
Add chopped tomatoes and saute for about 2 minutes until it turns soft.
Add chopped beans, carrot, cabbage, raisins and season with salt. Stir well and saute for about 2 minutes.
Add mashed potatoes and maggi masala ae magic. Mix everything well until combined and cook for about 1-2 minutes and take off the heat. You can also add some chopped coriander leaves at this stage.
STUFF AND SHAPE THE DOUGH:
Once the dough has proofed and doubled in size, gently deflate the dough and turn out onto a cleaned surface. Flatten the dough and shape the dough into a ball. Divide the dough into equal 8 portions as shown in the video and picture below.
Take each portion of the dough, bring together the edges and pinch it down and roll it between your palms of your hands into round smooth balls.
Flatten the dough in a small circular shape with your hands. Scoop the prepared stuffing. Bring the edges together, pinching with fingers and then roll it in between your palms to smoothen the balls to give an even look. Repeat the same with all the remaining balls. Place these prepared stuffed buns in a greased baking tin and arrange them in a circular manner.
Once the dough has shaped, it is ready for second proofing/rise.
Cover the pav again with cling wrap or kitchen towel and place in warm place to rise for another 30 minutes.
Once it is proofed, brush the shaped dough with water. You may also use milk or egg wash. Sprinkle white and black sesame seeds and chilly flakes. The bread is ready to be baked.
BAKE THE STUFFED PAV:
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180° C for 10 minutes.
Bake the stuffed pav on a preheated oven @180° C for 20-25 minutes with both filaments (rods)or until the crust turns golden brown.
Take out the baked bread and cover with a clean towel and keep aside for 5-10 minutes. I have brush it with oil. You can brush over with melted butter.
Remove the pav from the pan. This step is very important to prevent your pav from becoming soggy. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and your stuffed masala pav is ready to be served. Serve it warm or cover it with kitchen towel and allow to cool down completely. Enjoy!
● Oil can be substituted with any butter for the dough.
● You can use bread flour or all purpose flour or 50:50 ratio of APF and WWF.
● You can use milk instead of water for the dough.
● Use any stuffing as per your palate preference – sweet or savoury.
● You can use other spice powder as per availability or even mixed herbs, any particular herb or oregano etc. But I would really recommend using the maggi masala ae magic if you can source and if you haven’t tried it yet.
● Always bake your goodies at preheated oven.
● Turn on both the filaments (rods).
● Baking time will differ as every oven recats differently. Bake as per your oven temperature.
● You can use milk or egg wash instead of water.
● You can brush melted butter once the baked pav is out of the oven.
Well, if you make this stuffed masala bun, please do leave a feedback in the comments box below or snap a photo and tag Akum Raj Jamir on Facebook and akumrajjamir on Instagram with hashtag #atmykitchen. I would love to see your creations.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you liked the recipe. Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you.
At My Kitchen is an Amazon Affiliate, which simply means that if you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a very small commission at no additional cost to you!
Please click on the image if you wish to purchase these products from Amazon.
Gloripan Instant Dry Yeast – (500 Grams)
HealthyHive Yeast – Dry, Instant and Active (100 Grams)
MAGGI Masala-ae-Magic Vegetable Masala, 72g Pouch (6g x 12 Sachets) | All in One Masala for Dry Vegetables, Paneer, Dal & More
C&G INDIA Cake Making Supplies Cake Turntable, Nozzle Set, Measuring Cup & Spoon, Scraper and Stainless Steel Pallet Knife
OMORTEX Women’s First Choice 10 Pcs Color Measuring Cups and Spoon Set
Generic Non-Stick Silicon Reusable Pastry Fondant Dough roti chapati Rolling Baking Sheet mat(Pink)
MAM Creations Aluminium Baking Round Cake Pan/Mould for Microwave Oven – 6″, 7″, 8″ Diameter x 2.25″ Height for 0.5/1/2 kg, Silver (Set of 3 Pieces) (Round)
BICHI™ Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale, Kitchen Scale Digital Multipurpose, Weight Machines for Kitchen, Weight Machine, Weight Scale Kitchen, Kitchen Weight Machine, Kitchen Weighing Scale Digital
BAKERY HUB Steel Baking Rings for 5 Hot Dog 6 Inch+ 5 Burger 3.5 Inch
Combo of Plastic Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl with Stainless Steel Whisker Egg Beater Latte Maker for Baking, Mixing, Whisking, Beating, Stirring & Blending by Homeleven
Bloriza 2 in 1 Stand Mixer Cook Stand Mixer for Electric Cooking Electric Stand Mixer Elegant Kitchen Mixer 7 Speed Control with Hook for kneading and Whisk for Cakes and More
Grizzly Rectangle Nonstick Wire Cooling Rack Baking Tools (Black)
KRUM 100 New Stretch Wrap/Shrink Wrap/Packing Film for Home/Industry/Kitchen Packing and Wrapping
Borosil DIGIPRO 38L, Digital OTG, with Motorised Rotisserie and Convection, 1500W, 4 Stage Heat Selection, Black
Bajaj Majesty 4500 TMCSS 45-Litre Oven Toaster Grill (Silver)
Pixel Home Micro Check Cotton Oven Mitten with Pot Holder (Red & Black)